Tuning loiter

The first I took my quad out to test 2.5.3 loiter was a bit sketchy. The quad screamed from one edge of the field to the other, overshooting by a greater amount each time. (See below, it started somewhere in the middle. The pattern is about 35m across).

3690927066?profile=original

I dropped the Loiter P parameter to 0.2 and took it out today. It performed a bit better. The overshoots were more controlled, but it still covered and area of about 25m across.

3690927231?profile=original

Logs showed GPS was picking up about 10 satellites each time. Should I keep reducing P, or is something else at play here?

Thanks,

Chris

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Hans. I'm curious if the default loiter values work for anyone at all? All the other default control values seem to work fine for my quad without any extra tuning. It's a home made frame but similar weight/dimensions to the Arducopter.

Regarding the values, this is what I see under the configuration tab for loiter:

3692397834?profile=original

Which of the parameters that you mentioned do these relate to?

Looking at these I think I must have inadvertently changed "Loiter Speed" instead of "P". Odd, I don't remember loiter speed being there before. Anyway, I'll try reducing P further for tomorrow's flight.

• In short, start with P parameters around 0.1 and I set at 0. Start raising the all the P values involved in loiter by the same increments until you get an oscillation. Then Dial back until the oscillation disappears. At this point you will have a workable loiter with no wind resistance. To get wind resistance start dialling I terms up in small increments (of 0.005) until you get oscillation, then dial back. Don't ask about the D terms, as I haven't got that far.

• Hi Chris, 

These are the parameters that influence loiter in 2.5.3:

HLD_LAT_I
    HLD_LAT_I
    HLD_LAT_P
    HLD_LON_I
    HLD_LON_IMAX
    HLD_LON_P
    LOITER_LAT_D
    LOITER_LAT_I
    LOITER_LAT_IMAX
    LOITER_LAT_P
    LOITER_LON_D
    LOITER_LON_I
    LOITER_LON_IMAX
    LOITER_LON_P

My understanding is, that there are two separate processes involved in LOITER. There is the HLD process (hold) and the LOITER process, each with their respective set of parameters.

The purpose of the HLD process seems to be the holding of a successful loitering point and the LOITER process actually attempts to return the copter to the correct position when it has drifted away.  At least that is how I understand the workings of the current version.

TO GET A SUCCESSFUL LOITER, YOU MUST TUNE BOTH SETS OF PARAMETERS. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity