ublox M8N GPS - doesn't store settings

Hi,

I've a ublox M8N GPS, and configuring it via MissionPlanner's MAVserial pass function because I don't have FTDI cable for the moment, and ublox's u-center v8.18.

The issue is, that not all the settings are stored in the GPS, some stored, and some not.

I need to almost reconfigure the GPS after every power up.

Any idea what's going on here?

Cheers,

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I had the same problem guys with my M8N Drotek GPS. Settings I manually changed never persisted even after writing them to flash.

The workaround I found that fixed this was to upload the configuration file provided in the WIKI.

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-ublox-gps/#installing_and_u...

Despite this, the baud rate still reverts back to 9600 whenever i connect to UCenter however the rest of the parameters seem to stick.

Hope this helps.

• Hi  Arshish,

I also have a drotek gps but I do not have problems.

In UCenter after you have finished your settings in Configuration go to the CFG (Configuration) tab select as per image below and click send. Let me know if it solves your problem

Screenshot (20).png

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702620178?profile=original
      • Thanks Paul.. Ill try try this today.

• If pixhawk uses same configuration on wiki page (link) , gps doesnt accept some commands on that config file. You have to do it manually with u-center.

I explained here

• I am beginning to think we are just victims of cheap Chinese M8N knock-offs.  According to Ublox they are all supposed to be "future proof", with built in internal flash like G+J Noci have already stipulated.  However,  when I have tried to reflash some of my Chinese modules the settings just aren't there upon reboot.  I know that it is not my FTDI, as I am able to reflash some of my more expensive Modules.  I am beginning to think it is in the knock-off chip design itself.  

I did notice that when the modules in question were plugged in for the first time they worked, but if I left them plugged in during a firmware update they would become nonfunctional.  Refresh rate on all of them would be at 1Hz after update.   Maybe someone with better knowledge of these board layouts will have a better idea of just what is going on.  I haven't looked any further into it myself, but now that I see that it is not just me I will look more into it.  

• any solution ? facing the same problem.....

• Solution for the moment, to solder a switch to the TX cable coming out from Pixhawk. This way you can enable/disble programming.

Or wait till GPS parameters owerwrite can be enabled/disabled from upcoming version of MissionPlanner.

• Developer

Many of Chinese made M8N GPSes are not using memorychip to store settings. M8N chip cannot store settings inside main chip.

• If this is the case, then what's the purpose of the tiny battery on the PCB?

• Developer

To keep the navigation map and last "online" location alive inside gps chip. If you look all jDrones or 3RD uBlox based GPSes. We have external flash memory to store settings.

This reply was deleted.

Activity