Unintended orientation change in flight

We've had a nagging problem that has spanned multiple software releases (at least 2.7.X and 2.8.X) and multiple APMs (2 and 2.5). During flight our orientation will change somewhat randomly.  This means that going "forward" in stabilize will be a different direction that it was earlier in the flight.  We almost always fly in simple mode for all our flight modes and we see this most often when switching between modes in flight (alt hold back to stabilize, etc).  Usually we can yaw the vehicle to regain the original orientation, which tells me that the APM switched out of simple mode.  In the mission planner nothing has changed in the mode settings (still shows simple mode being checked).  We usually fix the problem by unchecking and rechecking simple mode before the next takeoff.  If I find a flight log that includes this problem, is there a place in the tlm stream that would show the simple mode status?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm experiencing this too with my new Octo, my quad and heli don't do it.  I am not flying in simple mode, just trying to hover, and I see the heading wanders around a bit, maybe +/-5°.

I believe it's magnetic interference coming from the power system, probably the cause in your case too.

Even if you build the 3DR quad as directed, there can be some differences in wiring layout, and even battery type, that can have an effect.

What are your compass offsets?

• I just posted about a similar issue. However mine consists of the copter spinning uncontrollably in the air for several seconds, before stabilizing again. However, now that you mention it, I also have the issue of yaw drifting. I did not have this problem with my older APM1.4+OILPAN setup, but I also just added FPV gear to my rig as well..

• Developer
    I know a few people who are keen to see this in a Tlog. Can you post that here?
    Jason
  • 3D Robotics

Sounds like magnetic interference. Any chance you can reposition things that might be causing that?

This reply was deleted.

Activity