Variable pitch propellors on quadcopter

Hey all,

Has anyone used Variable pitch propellors on their quadcopter?? I'm thinking about using them on my new project and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or could let me know if its a dead end or if its even done??

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thankyou,

Harry 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Harry,

currently we work also on an variable pitch quadrocopters

it fly's since ~ two weekends :) designed as a fast video plattform, not as a 3d model.

Under the video on youtube, you find some data.

Best Regards

Askan

• It adds quite a bit of additional mechanical complexity, and ultimately the only material advantage is a higher forward speed capability (the ability to increase the blade section AoA at higher rates of inflow).

Here's a paper from some MIT guys who did some research, but it was focused on control response.  If you have a mission profile where ultimate transient handling response is your goal, i.e. precision flying in a very turbulent aerodynamic environment, it might make sense to pursue.  If you don't find this paper to be daunting, and don't mind treading down your own technical path, then go for it. 

The electric multicopter's primary advantage is mechanical simplicity.  If you really think being able to change the pitch of the blade in flight suits your goals better, and if you don't want to embark on your own course of invention (with all the trials and tribulations that entails), then trying a conventional single rotor helicopter might be a better idea.

GNC11_Cutler_uber.pdf

This reply was deleted.

Activity