Violent over-correction on mode change?

Hi folks. I've built several models using the MegapirateNG project. Recently I realized that all my models exhibit an alarming behavior when switching from Stabilize to any auto-pilot mode (RTL, Loiter, etc).

Say I am flying my F450 forward at a good clip, 20 MPH or so, and I switch from Stabilize to RTL. My model will violently pitch its nose up.. like, vertically, then wobble around trying to get stable.

It loses a lot of altitude while doing this. It's pretty scary to watch.

With my F450, it eventually recovers, flies up to RTL altitude, and comes home.

I have a "Reptile" quad (TBS Disco clone) that, when going through the same correction, will not recover. It wobbles around until it hits the ground.

I thought maybe I had my PIDs set too aggressively, so today I set them all back to their defaults. My F450 still pitches up violently when changing modes.

I've tried everything I can think of. Is this just a characteristic of Arducopter and I have to live with it? I have one F450 that has a Naza M Lite in it, and it doesn't do anything like this when switching modes. I much prefer ArduCopter.

MegapirateNG is based on ArduCopter 3.0.1-R4 (555f662)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's Arducopter.  I haven't tried to change anything, but I'm really afraid to use RTL now or go near the end of my radio range and hit the failsafe.

This reply was deleted.

Activity