Vortex 700 First Flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_JZcrzBIGQ

700 Class Trex Build (Flight Video to come still in editing)

My friend and I are in the process of building a Traditional Heli. I would love to get feedback from the community.

The Vortex 700 is a Traditional style Helicopter UAS designed with Police forces and Search and Rescue in mind.  The Vortex 700 can be equipped with a variety of payloads depending upon the mission.

The Vortex 700 is designed around the Align Trex 700 Dominator mechanics, a proven, reliable helicopter.

The Vortex 700
Specifications:
Length:  53 in.
Height:  22 in.
Width:  8 in.
Main Rotor Diameter: 62 in
Empty Weight: 9 lbs.
Calculated Flight endurance: 30-45 min
Range:  2 miles (C2 Link depended) 
Payload: 4 lbs
Auto Pilot: PixHawk from 3D Robotics

sophisticatedrc.com

Views: 2090

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a quick video of an auto launch and departure to first way-point.

We are still compiling the good edit video of flights.

wow heli is looking great. new landing gear really matches. and it looks really stable . great work !

Hi UAS_Pilot,

in case you are still trying to find Helitec blades:

Helitec(=Blattschmied) 700mm

Great thanks.

Thanks, 

I really like the landing gear too. It is really stable. The flight in the video was in 10-15mph wind. No real effect to the stability.

Very pleased.

Joe

Here is a new Promo Video we put together. We are still editing a longer one. 

Update on Vortex 700. It is now Vortex 700XL. I installed the 800 stretch kit. 

We also installed a brush less go-pro gimbal for HD video on board. 

Telemetry file from most recent test flight:

Attachments:

I have re uploaded the correct file. 

Sorry about that.

Attachments:

So I have a couple questions about your Vortex 700 setup:

1) Are you using the Pixhawk F/C in lieu of the 3GX or Gpro F/C that came with the TREX 700?

2) Did you ever fly the Vortex 700 before using the Pixhawk?

3) Was tuning the Pixhawk with the Vortex 700 difficult?  Is it better to start out with a standard flight controller such as Align's 3GX or GPro to learn about flight characteristics, or better to just start with the Pixhawk?  My experience with the Pixhawk on a Multi-rotor was quite a learning curve (tuning / various settings) even after using a NAZA V2.  I think I would have struggled A LOT more with the PIX had I not understood the flight characteristics of a mutli-rotor from a simpler system like the NAZA V2.

4) Is your heli an electric?

Thanks for any insight.

1: Yes

2: No

3: Yes, If you have no experience flying a Helicopter, yes. But it will not aid in tuning the Pixhawk.

4: Yes

You Welcome. Feel free to PM me with any specifics. 

Recently fitted a Brushless gimbal. Here is the first flight with it mounted. I still have a bit of dampening to play with. It is a little too soft for the set up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service