What can a visionary man do, who holds the whole vision of a craft in his head, but is not able to draw two parallel lines. Ask for help : ?

Good technical 3D drawing skills are needed for:

A Saucer/Frisbee shaped vehicle which turns by magnetic levitation and is held focused via strong gyros.

All fans are electric and solar powered. Partly levitated by helium.

Do not hesitate to ask and contact me!

Greetings

Lars

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I can help you.

I am a conceptual designer who does 3D mechanical CADD  in his headc for fun, or when I can't sleep, lol.

In fact, I have been so disappointed with how people are not yet really pushing the envelope, and not even yet truely exploring the limits of what is already commonly available, so I love your idea!

Are willing to make changes if necessary? I of course do not know of any that would be necessary, but I find that any truly inspired project often requires re-designing or other adjustments.

I am not a "What's in it for me" kinda guy, but I am wondering if we can both help each other - if you are able to fabricate/build, or are willing to go into some kind of partnership where we can make something fantastic that we can make some money on? I am wide open and flexible in any case for a grand project such as what you propose, and already have some ideas to help make it work.

Message me and we can discuss details.

Thanks for being visionary, nice to see.

• Dear Mr J. Smith

Thank you for hearing my prayer, and I appreciate your response very much. Have just requested friendship

Am so sorry I did not respond to your question earlier, but I had to do a long search to find my own topic again in this forum.

So to make it clear, what this is all about

The end goal is an enormous hollow helium filled frisbee shaped craft, with crew sitting in the center on a round sofa turning their face outward. They will be steering via a simple i pad device like done with a drone. There will be three separate steering systems if one of them fails. Radio, Infrared and of course af physical.

I imagine that even the sofa is blown up with helium, like most of the rest of the vehicle. 

Imagine an iglo tent which is only made of two telescope tent ploegs or extandable sticks which are bent. (the solid part which holds up the tent up) Actually i consider these to be adjustible so you can extend the outer part of the vehicle, and also they will help the vehicle when it lands, like the legs of a landing insect bouncing.

Now the basic idea about the craft is placing the 4 fans in between the center and the radius of the frisbee craft, and making each of them tiltable.

The size of the vehicle has to be fairly large, so that most of the energy is mainly concerning balancing the craft and bringing it forwards.

Now I guess this is enough for now

Hope you are still with me

Greetings

Lars

• Dear sir...

I am sure there are people out there doing similar, if not remotely similar things, that being basically a huge drone capable of carrying passengers, etc.

It is a difficult undertaking, even in its inception and design, if one is practical, but I am sure such craft will inevitably come about.

Due to the fact that this will not be a simple task, my experience in various practical designs and DIY projects, some concepts simply will not work without much more advanced technology available. That does not mean that the concept is foolish, it just means a matter of time for technology to catch up with the possibility, lol.

Your concept in general is ebtirely possible, with at least one exception, and that is any use of magnetic levitation. The reaosn for this is that any hardware capable of making that happen would have weight, and the weight of such is more than such a craft could lift, and still do anything worthwhile otherwise.

Also, there is the difference between magnetic levitation, and anti-gravity. Magnetic levitation has a very narrow limited application for providing dependable and consistent lift. Anti-gravity on the other hand, well, even the physists are still battling with the very inception of that concept as far as practical application is concerned.

Outside of that, your concept is valid, quite possible, and practical.

I was/am very encouraged by your wish to use helium inflation.

On a small private/hobby drone, with a more or less inflatable frame with helium, the helium might help in the tiniest bit, but is not practical, especially due to the offset between the craft overall weight, and the space and amount of allowed or possible helium gas. It can be done practically, but the necessary size of what would hold the helium would have a negative effect on speed in any direction, and it would effectively become an odd-shaped blimp, and not so much what the average drone is or can do.

However, there is something that I call "Atomic Scale". Have you ever heard that we cannot have giant insects (as in bigger than people at the very least) because they would either collapse under thier own weight, or might actually burst, thier exoskelletons unable to hold thier internal contents ???

Also, there is the fact that on thier own scale, many insects can be dropped form what would be a considerable height for them, as it would be for us at thier size, and can hit the ground and not only survive, but often can be uninjured. Some people mistakenly attribute this to drag vs. aerodynamics, whihc would apply more to hampsters than insects.

Because you are dealing with something on a much larger scale, there is a little more lee-way, and many more possibilities regarding construction and components used. On the small scale of the average private/hobby drone, there are only so many parts, and trying to fabricate ultra light-weight comonents on such a small scale is much harder than doing same on a larger scale.

In either case, however, the amount of helium needed, and thus the amount of area needed to contain it is pretty large to be effective, and essentially becomes the main body of the craft, thus, again, tending towards a blimp to whatever degree. But as I said, dealing with this on a larger scale gives you a little more room for design.  The challenge then would be to make the 'blimp' as aerodynamic as possible, as opposed to a big round thing, and as it would inevitably happen, could naturally tend to look a bit like a UFO. The shape could be made to look a little more 'jet' like, or like a tear-drop, etc, but then the problem is the material used to contain the helium vs. the effective helium. In other words, a narrow, pointy, aerodynamic helium inflatable would have less gas and more weight of material containing it, and becomes less and less practical.

Also, in order for the inflatable part to retain a shape more aerodynamic than blimp-like, there would have to be additional infrastructure of some sort holding it in, or in the intended shape.

In some applications that might not apply to your idea, several/many long, narrow inflated tubes might help mitigate this.

Another way might be to have two fairly narrow/long blimps with an aerodynamic wing or fuselague between them could contain the gear and passengers.

What readily comes to mind is that a round shape, like a stuffed Pita Bread could be given a slightly more aerodynamic shape by a simple cord, rope, strut, etc, in the middle keeping it more flat, as opposed to a ball, which is what the inflation would otherwise try to do. In this case, you might theortically have a thin outer ring, maybe made from a carbon fiber composite. This might give you a reliable and consistent shape that is at optimum between aerodynamics and lift via the amount of helium, vs. that which contains it, and might give you a lot of options for its construction, durability, mounting of outside running lights, etc.

The crew could be in an inner 'bubble' of air and open to the outside air via some duct for ventilation. This would also accomodate your wish to have a round, outward-facing seating arrangement.

One other benefit to your general idea is inherent safety to a degree. (This might not apply to having a thin outer ring)

Depending on the design, the craft could collide with something or have a crash landing, and act a little like a car's air-bag to cushion the impact, as long as the helium did not have a serious leak. Humans still need oxygen to breathe, and may not do well in a concentrated cloud of helium, lol.

Those are the initial thoughts that have occured to me at this point thus far.

I hope this gives you angles and ideas to consider and help you with your concept.

• What does this visionary man have in mind for the project?

• Hi Michael

Hope the answer below will help your curiosity?

This reply was deleted.

Activity