hello,  everytime I talk with 'professional', or 'uber experienced' hobbyist about my models and controllers and radio setup, I ALWAYS here a comment or two about my radio...

I have the turnigy 9xr PRO radio...I have never had any other brand... I bought it for the price, and reading sevearl discussions about it on other forums... *(which seem to indicate that the radio is 'better then just ok)

currently, I have my model in a local shop to try to get the pid's dialed in better and to add fpv and the techie really wanted me to switch to a spektrum radio, claiming it was easier, better, longer range... but when I asked a couple questions and got no real answer, I said no... as I didnt want to spend another $200-300 for something that seems to already work...

he really didnt seem to have any experience with my radio... but claimed the spektrum is easier... I am not sure how anyone can claim something is easier when they never tried my radio..

from what I can tell, the JR module system allows me to use different 'frequency'/brands of tx/rx as long as it plugs into the module location..

can anyone answer specifically what other frequency/brands I can be used in my 9xr pro radio? i.e. is there a spektrum type of reciever that can be used in my radio setup?

as far as I can tell the differences include that the 9xr pro has 24 channel capacity, but, getting the sbus to work with naza has been a problem as the radio doesnt have a d16 mode... if I want d16 functions/ability, it has to be done at the 'module level'...and not really in the menu system of the radio itself, (not sure that makes sense?)

before I ramble too much more.. can anyone help me or point me to a resource

thanks

bill

Views: 804

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Btw the video from flight test was awesome but again it said I needed to use spectrum TX on a spectrum rx.

That creates confusion for us module guys/radios.

They also said something about resolution on the gimbal. Is there anyway to describe /detail what three resolution is on a radio?

Is that listed in the mfg specs

We've all been there!

So I'll make these suggestions. You can pick the one that seems to fit best and I'll help as best as I can.

1) Use 2 X8R's. This will give you SBUS on one radio, and PWM on the other. You keep telemetry, but now you'll have 2 radios on your model.

2) Use any frksy CPPM-capable radio (D4R-II, D8R-XP, etc) and use the two gimbal outputs to control your LEDs. You keep telemetry and you have only one radio, but you only have 2 outputs to do what you want.

Personally, I would do (and have done) #2. It works great on a 9XR. I thought there was a receiver that could do both, but I must have imagined it. Overload indeed!

Forget about Spektrum for now :) everything you want to do can be done with Frsky.. it's just that a lot of Frsky is undocumented. Best way to learn is to ask around on the forums (like you're doing).

Replying to my own post (shame shame) but it looks like both the X8R and the X6R will do both SBUS and PWM on one receiver. Hard to tell for sure from the documentation, it might take some experimentation.

yea, the documentation says it is possible, but i think the 'issue/problem' is the 9xr radio... it doesnt have d16mode in the setup...according to frsky, as long as I jumper the module properly, then that is the d16 mode...

i think I will end up going with your suggestion above, (#2)

thanks

bill

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service