What conditions cause ESCs to lose calibrations?

or, in what case does the ESC lose its calibrations or de- sync?

The problem is this:  my Hex's ESCs have simonk firmware, and don't seem to hold calibration for very long. Granted I'm not an expert here and haven't yet flown a great many hours with this copter, but something has caused calibration to be lost in one or more ESCs over time, several times. ALL-at-once re-calibrations NEVER have worked reliably, necessitating calibrating them separately.

I guess i want to know if this is a process that should be included in every preflight or should I reasonably expect it to stick? Or am i obviously doing something that causes re-initiation other than the documented high throttle init?

Does everyone re-calibrate before each flight?

Thanks in advance, as always,

Bart

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Check if your ESCs have external oscillator (ESC specs). You want ESCs with external oscillator , the Atmel's internal oscillator is not accurate enough to sync several boards together and its frequency will vary with temp.

Internal oscillator ESCs do work, but need recalibration much more often.

• Bart, The short answer is 'No. Everyone does not recal ESC before a flight.'

The usual problem is making sure you have good cal to begin with.

Are you familiar with the CLI mode in MP (mission planner)?

I ask because there are several useful tests there that could help diagnose your issue.

Also getting familiar with looking at the log files helps..at least being able to post the *.log file here.

It will also help us to know which APM you are using and your TX, RX brand.

-=Doug

This reply was deleted.

Activity