I don't really need one to do much else, since I have a pretty powerful desktop. Just need it for field use for adjusting stuff, so small and medium ruggedness are good. Guess I don't need a removable-disk drive. I am trying not to get sucked into the better quality computer gear that would have a much wider range of utility, I'll wait until my desktop is toast-ish for that. I don't think I can "buy and try" around here, not since I'd have to install software to know. Thanks for any insight (what to be wary of?, I'm on the wrong track?) or recs.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ah, so a cheapie netbook would work then. Thanks for that. It is tough to not look at the fancier stuff when it's sitting right beside the lonely (these days) netbooks. Especially with those Ultrabooks with Retina-like full HD displays...look a little delicate and way too nice to "throw" in the toolbox.

I have been considering a model of a certain netbook [This one, but not necessarily from this place] for a few weeks (it keeps getting cheaper...) and got totally distracted yesterday by all the nicer/newer stuff that's trickling in. So back to the plan then. I also didn't think it would handle a simultaneous real-time video feed, but that's waaay down the line for me.

I'll aim for the best display I can get under 13" in a netbook. I am a bit concerned with visibility in the sun, the displays seem awfully shiny in the cheapies. For instance, my iPod Touch (my only basement computer for quick web access now lol) is not at all good in the sun. And a usable Windows 7 version.

• I use a netbook also and it is fine. One thing you may want to consider is getting one with an 11.6" screen, which will typically have a 1366x768 display rather than the 10.1" with 1024x600. I got one of these (11.6") with a low end processor so it was cheap, and I really appreciate the extra display area.

• I used it on a couple year old, $150 netbook.  I think it was an N450 processor.  Really low end.  No problems running MP, but I didn't try feeding video in, I'm not sure it could do that.

It doesn't take much.

This reply was deleted.

Activity