Iphone and Android App Ground Control Station with Mavlink is in Progress

I have successfully built an API that will work with Ipad/ Iphone and will be able to port it to Android. This app can create missions, follow live mavlink .9 (Still working on 1.0) data with telemetry data. Cool thing is that it is a cheap cable to make. I want to know how many people would be interested in this App and the cable. There will be two versions one for jail broke devices that will have a few extras and for regular IOS and Droid OS. If there enough buzz I will give a lucky few in couple weeks a free beta pass through iTunes to be able to test and use for flight. What the app does is that it send a mavlink message to the xbee or 3d radio back and forth so you be able to fly and track using your tablet or phone.

https://code.google.com/p/airmavgcs/ 

Project Home

Views: 27219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Zac, my name is Sheldon. I wanted to know if there is any advice you could give me on the Hexicopter from Udrones. I want to fly it using my iPhone or iPad. I'm waiting on my copter to be delivered in a few days and I don't have a radio for it, so I wanted to use my iPhone. Please help!! You can email me if you have the time. Sheldonstankevitz@yahoo.com
I appreciate anything you can do.

@Sheldon, You will still need a radio for flying. Ipad and Iphone flight directly can have some lag. That why it is only good for GCS flight and autopilot type controls and information. There are hackable devices that you can send signals to a xbee using OSC app but it limited on range and sometimes some lag. There no simple solution. You buy one of those kits like at bestbuy that connect to the audiojack and then take out the receiver out of the helio and solder hack it to your helio but I would worry about noise and other controls. Does your aircraft come with a APM?

*Update. Apple Map sucks to much problems with IOS6 hopefully they fix it because with HIL test plane is really off course with X-plane. Hopefully google maps will return.

Please consider stop delaying the project because of a company that only have developed its legal dept. the past years, they also invented another row of icons and crappy maps. (did the)y patent that BTW?

Please focus on the Android development, you could be selling the app already, and there no reason for proprietary hardware to make telemetry work with Android, it it's connected by BT, USB serial, or GPRS.

Don't let apple stall the progress (again) - start selling for the OS with the biggest market share.

The moduled is part of the product that will work with either platform. The module will let you plug in your radios so you can use telemetry data to be able to send mavlink message faster without dely or lock up issues. Android is being worked on and is functioning pretty well still working on missions planning though so you can have alt and unlimited waypoints. Also looking in firmware upgrade by using the tablet or phone but so far only works for jailbreak devices for both platforms.

what ? why ?  do we have to buy some hardware to make it work ?

1.- Android may use UDP /TCP over GPRS, like with Mission planner today - no extra hardware needed if I wish to use a device that is on GSM. "no need for root"

2.- Android may use serial over BT, need 3DR Radio connected to  serial-to BT adapter, - it works as-is.   "no need for root"

3.- Android devices have often USB host capability, I can, connect the 3DR radio right now to my Galaxy Note - depending on kernel - users have, or do not have the device right there. "root may be needed for some"

4.- direct BT connection - up to 50-100 meters, for multirotors/rovers etc - "no need for root" 

So - if you are planning to force people to buy some of your hardware, this is a problem, otherwise, connectivity without root is not an problem.

Also - most here are well capable to root the device if needed, and - unlike apple, that does not pose a permanent security risk, as we have well defined control mechanism with what app, is allowed to do actions as root.

What will be your options to use the software whiteout complicating the setup with extra hardware ?

You don't have to buy the module you can make adapter yourself as It show in my diagram. The device that is being made is for Iphone and Ipads but can be used on android to. Android is a easier platform. The module for people that don't want to make a adapters and the module just provides all the bluetooth and wifi chips on one board.

that's nice. 

and it means you could start selling the android app as soon as you wish, and get som ROI, rather than waiting for the apple stuff to be ready.

So please, like I suggested - see if you can proceed, instead of being delayed.

I suggested very early in this thread to go the BT 4.0 route, cause that doesn't require any permissions from Apple or rooting/jailbreaking, it does now support two generations of iPhones, one generation iPad, and about 2 generations of Android devices. Basically every device you find in the stores right now has it.

There are now even Arduino BT4.0 shields, like this one from Seeed http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/bluetooth-low-energy-shield-p-1255... or this one on Kickstarter.com http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rowdyrobot/arduino-ble-shield-c...

So thats one piece of hardware, already available to cover 70% of users.

Appreciate your work but it seems like you are wasting too much time and energy dealing with nonsense restrictions just to create a closed source hardware solution that can easily replaced with off-the-shelf solutions.

I just finish my MAVLink Java Generator!

Command line arguments are :
  source : directory path containing xml files to parse for generation
  target : directory path for output Java source files
  isLittleEndian : true if type are stored in LittleEndian in buffer, false for BigEndian
  forEmbeddedJava : true if generated code must use apis for embedded code, false else
  debug : true to generate toString methods in each message class

Example :
  java org.mavlink.generator.MAVLinkGenerator resources/v1.0 target/ true true true true
Generate MAVLink message Java classes for mavlink xml files contains in resources/v1.0 in target diretory for Little Endian data, embedded code with debug code.

It is architectured with 3 Eclipse Java projects.
org.mavlink.generator : contains the generator and MAVLink xml files. Generated code is put in org.mavlink.library/generated folder.
org.mavlink.library : Helpers for MAVLink and message. Contains generated code from generator.
org.mavlink.util : CRC classes uses by generator and library.

After code generation, 2 jar descriptors in org.mavlink.library and org.mavlink.util projects can be used to generate jars for your application...

See readme files in org.mavlink.library and org.mavlink.generator projects...

I think you can use it for Android because if you generate for embedded, API used can be used in all JVM and CLDC libs...
But i suppose in Android you can use too ground station generated code...

I join the zip file : have fun!
If you find bugs, you want new features or have any questions, don't hesitate to write me!

Best regards

Guillaume Helle

Attachments:

any news ? why let the lawsuit company delay Android version ? - wish you released it soon.

with this app will u be able to use the follow me feature, so it will follow a iphone without the laptop?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service