This is an indoor navigation I realize but it is so accurate and awesome!

This is old, posted on 2012

Views: 1682

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good question! The challenge has been to move from something that can handle short distances at a high price, such as the Hokuyo scanner seen in the video, to something that can be used at much longer ranges outdoors and is available for around $1000. With the emergence of a large commercial drone sector, it now makes sense to produce this sort of device and next year you will see a lot more activity in this field.

Laser, do you have something in mind develop at low price high accurate? do you think in something to agriculture purposes?

@Cala, we always have something in development ;). There are three new collision avoidance and mapping devices coming out over the next 6 months. They could be used for agricultural purposes to avoid or map trees at the borders of large fields. Typically, a mapping or sense-and-avoid device would be used in conjunction with a laser altimeter to ensure accurate height above ground information. This is something that seems to be missing in the video that @Jacob has posted here.

Thank's Laser, I was searching for Lidar lite arround the world but now I'm thinking perhaps it's better to wait, as you comment this is just begining. 

Hello Cala,

hello Laser,

could you go on the low altitude Lidar lite supported flying thread

and could we discuss  GPS err in altitude, as suggested by Cala ?

thanks

darius

manta103g@gmail.com

And don't underestimate the regulatory issue.

It's very difficult currently to get approval for any onboard lasers - even the weakest ones - in Canada. Don't know about other places (but countries seem to be following each other's lead these days in drafting their regulations).

To put LIDAR-light on a commercial drone requires a full permit application (minimum 20 working days, but has recently taken as long as several months), followed by a special review by Health Canada (minimum 30 days).

And until you have a considerable track record, that applies to each single intended use!

George

Finally I found a Lidar on the other side of the world :O , when I recive it and test I'm comment experience.

What the problem with Lidar George? I just buy one glup!

You can buy Lidar and put it on your desk.

You are required to get it approved as onboard add-on.

Ask Laser Developer about his success stories and number of approvals received

for his Lidar systems.

Lidar is not fit for low altitude flying since this is one-single pixel scan device.

But you need 2D/3D laser scanner to fly at 3 mts altitude over your crops/ sunflowers.

I have tested 3 robot vaccum cleaners coming with 3 + 1 sonars (charging station)

and sonar works fine in tests and in indoor use.

In theory we can shift from laser spectrum to LED spectrum to get Lidar approved for low altitude flights.

China manufacturers tens of models of laser projectors for discos and Christmas, New Year, not sure about any approval received

Get official approval for outdoor use from Laser Developer  first.

"Before a certificate applicant can operate a UAV fitted with laser equipment, the applicant has to complete a 'Notice of Proposal to Conduct Outdoor Laser Operations...

An aeronautical assessment is then conducted and the documentation is forwarded to Health Canada...The normal process time is at least 30 days to review the notification and determine if a laser authorization can be issued.

There are no exceptions to the requirement for this process. For example, even if the aircraft is going to be fitted with a short-range laser rangefinder to act as an altimeter, the equipment on the aircraft could cause a hazard to aviation safety - therefore, an assessment is required."

[Transport Canada]

The result, no doubt, of a@@holes shining laser pointers at airliners.

George

Thank's George

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service