This is an indoor navigation I realize but it is so accurate and awesome!

This is old, posted on 2012

Views: 1683

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@Cala

ask Laser Developer to replace laser diode by LED diode (light emitting diode)

not subject to m,edical approval procedure.

LED + optics + HUE controller can replace laser diode in your low altitude 3 mts applications.

Tell me if your interest to scan crops (sunflowers) is for real or you just promote laser Lidar ;)

darius

manta103g@gmail.com

I believe I saw a while ago on the 'Lidar-Lite' people's website either a non-laser version, or a claim that one was coming soon.

Next time I checked, it was gone.

George

Thank you George,

Lidar Lite is exactly LED based Lidar under $100.

http://hackaday.com/2014/01/23/lidar-with-leds-for-under-100/

Darius: I wrote 1.137 comments during four years, four Diy Drones from my oun build posted here really to promote something that I don't have yet, Are you happy now? Why don't you have the same persecution with other people asking for optional hardware?

Thanks, Darius.

But this is the source of my confusion. You've linked to a blog discussion (2 years old). The actual product they're discussing comes from these guys:

https://www.dragoninnovation.com/projects/32-lidar-lite-by-pulsedlight

That website does indeed discuss, in detail, a non-laser Lidar-Lite (even talks about why they chose not to use lasers), but the website doesn't actually sell anything.

Instead, they direct you to either Robotshop or Sparkfun, but when you go to either, what you find is 'Lidar-Lite 2', and it's very much laser-based.

This was my indirect point initially. The non-laser version appears to have vanished. Or I'm simply missing something (entirely possible).

Is there a non-laser version of Lidar-Lite actually available for sale? Can someone link me to it?

George

My congratulations Cala, excellent job done -- I wrote 1.137 comments during four years, -- you are wrong, I like the promotion and application of Lidar by LaserDeveloper and you. But due to legal aspects, health regulations, application of laser based Lidar in our drones is banned. Lidar Lite is $100 solution vs. $1000 by Laser developer For your project $100 Lidar Lite looks to be a nice offer. Personally I am interested in LED Lidar Lite at $100 range up to 30 mts There is legal problem with airborne laser apps and I am not ready to spent months on talks with Health Officers, WHO, Ophtalmologists to get officialban on the use of third party developed laser Lidar sensor. So if LED based Lidar Lite is ready and on sale I have no other choice. @Cala, just discussed your GPS err in altitude problem with distributor of DJI drones All you need is to use 2-system GPS (Glonas + GPS) to get +/- 1 meter fix so it looks like you can fly your drone safely over your crops GPS guided at 5mts altitude to avoid unexpected grounding. Tell me if your crops monitoring is for real (geolocation, area) to provide your with a nice hyperspectral image recording and analysis solution, just developed.

https://www.dragoninnovation.com/projects/32-lidar-lite-by-pulsedlight

Thank you George,

I have posted you the above web link and

one more

http://pulsedlight3d.com/

but this service failed to upload my message.

from the specification:

Eye safe, laser hazard free

I hope to talk with developers of Lidar Lite about LED based Lidar tommorrow since interest in Lidar Lite and alike system by Laser Developer is great.

@Laser Developer

let me know your opinion about LED based Lidar

--

FAQ link jumped to the top (really sorry - Android's default web browser is to blame)

Are there any eye safety concerns with these sensors?

No. We’re using IR Light Emitting Diodes (LED) for the emitters. Unlike a laser, LED’s have a more diffuse and lower power light output. Because of our technology’s increased sensitivity, we are able to use these safer, lower power devices and still achieve performance comparable to laser based systems costing much more

--

follow-up

http://lidarlite.com/docs/v2/img/block_diagram.png

2 options are offered / described (?)

LED or Optional Laser Diode

Hi Darius,

Yes, I've been to their site.

You see why I'm confused?! Their FAQs discuss a product that doesn't exist (a non-laser LED Lidar-Light).

Any links they provide, however, lead to a product which clearly states it is laser-based.

That was my original point. Talk of a non-laser Lidar-lite, but no follow-through.

My reason for entering this thread was to warn people to read the fine print of their country's regulations before they build a business plan around UAV-with-onboard-lasers. In other words, it's not just a technical issue. It may be a legal one (it is in Canada).

The company mentions 'eye-safe, laser hazard-free'. But their website is so confusing, it's not clear if they're still referring to a non-laser or a laser product.

But even if they mean the laser one - it doesn't matter (in Canada) whether they think their product is eye-safe. It only matters that Transport Canada strictly regulates all onboard lasers - 'no exceptions'.

People might be unpleasantly surprised if they're not careful.

I still have not seen any link to a purchasable, non-laser Lidar-Lite equivalent. If the authorities don't change their opposition to onboard lasers, there may be a (large) market for the non-laser equivalent, even if it performs less well (as I assume it must).

But if the authorities change their minds tomorrow, no one will want the non-laser version.

(during Transport Canada's recent request for public feedback on proposals for the comprehensive new UAV regulations they will reveal next year, I made the point that blocking Lidar is going to lead to more collisions and injuries, not fewer. I even sent them a link to this company's 'eye-safe' product).

I also have no idea how other countries' regulations treat on-board lasers.

George

What you really sell Darius that affect so much to you?

@Cala,

I develop and offer technologies and technology solutions on request.

I have studied your technology request, to monitor your crops/sunflowers with camera at low altitude to detect problems with crops.

Alike technology solution is sought by a number of ppl as well as by my friend, to monitor domestic , municipal sewage discharged into the river, into the lake contaminating the water.

Since I have got a fix from seller of drones solving your

"GPS err in altitude" problem

you can now safely fly your drone at 3 mts over your crops

supported by Lidar Lite by one developer, sonar by another

and Laser Lidar by Laser Developer from NZ or by technologies, products offered by one another company.

You are exactly right, that I need the right technology solution right now.

Since the use of lite Laser Lidar is subject to approval, health certification I would prefer non-laser , Led-based Lidar solution.

And would greatly appreciate an opinion by @Laser Developer

if such non-laser lite Lidar solution is offered or can be offered on a market and at what price.

I am really sorry but I cannot afford $1000  product if $100 alike solution is offered.

You know, we can experiment with lasers dismantled from used DVD recorders at home, indoor

but commercial outdoor use of laser device is restricted and subject to com0plicated approval procedure, I would like not to enter in, so I am looking for LED-based lite Lidar  marketed by  PulsedLight developers.

darius

Dear George,

You are exactly right that non-laser lite Lidar is marketed, described but not offered as a market product.

Yesterday I have tested $200 night vision device coming with camera i recorder, offered in a market.

Pulsed IR light generated by pressing a button in TV remote has been detected by  IR sensor matrix  could be watched on LCD screen.

Today I plan to test power Led equipped with collimator and lens from DVD laser recorder

Led diode is not going to "lase" but hope to build basic LED pointer for tests.

Pls let me know your opinion.

"

In the simplest form of laser diode, an optical waveguide is made on that crystal's surface, such that the light is confined to a relatively narrow line. The two ends of the crystal are cleaved to form perfectly smooth, parallel edges, forming a Fabry–Pérot resonator. Photons emitted into a mode of the waveguide will travel along the waveguide and be reflected several times from each end face before they exit. As a light wave passes through the cavity, it is amplified by stimulated emission, but light is also lost due to absorption and by incomplete reflection from the end facets. Finally, if there is more amplification than loss, the diode begins to "lase"."

Thank you Jacob,

excellent video.

I would like to build alike indoor navigation system.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service