Why I gave up on APM Planner for Mac.

Sorry Bill,

I do realize the effort that you have invested on APM Planner but I really have to stop using it because it is painful the lag of features regarding Mission Planner (or even DroidPlanner on Android) and the communication bugs are just too much. If the IOS version is on par with APM Planner I won't even look at it.

A simple flight session today with a small number of logs recorded on the PixHawk. 

Computer is a MacBook Pro 15" Retina late 2013, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2.3GHz Core I7, Yosemite

It took almost two hours to download 7 of 9 logs from the PixHawk via USB.

3691159256?profile=original

After downloading I looked at the download directory and APM Planner "created" over 1100 zero bytes log files.......

3691159281?profile=original

Started Mission Planner on a Parallels VM, and in less than 5 minutes had all the logs downloaded without thousands of zero length log files.

Even an old QGround Control version that still supported APM, did much better than APM Planner.

To Michael and Bill, the lead devs of APM Planner, and Mission Planner. Please join your efforts and create a single version of a Wonderful GCS soft. Please.......

Oh and include Arthur (from DroiPlanner)......Please......

edit: I've reported issues with APM Planner but nobody cared to answer.....

edit2: And did try the newer beta/RC versions and the main issues are still present.....

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

I retested this with 5 files and it has downloaded as expected for me

-rw-r--r--  1 bonney  staff   1.5M  2 Nov 09:15 79-12-30_16-00-00_9.bin

-rw-r--r--  1 bonney  staff   8.3K  2 Nov 09:14 79-12-30_16-00-00_8.bin

-rw-r--r--  1 bonney  staff   1.4M  2 Nov 09:14 79-12-30_16-00-00_7.bin

-rw-r--r--  1 bonney  staff   1.8M  2 Nov 09:14 79-12-30_16-00-00_6.bin

-rw-r--r--  1 bonney  staff    32K  2 Nov 09:14 79-12-30_16-00-00_5.bin

Maybe you can try just selecting a fewer files to download as a workaround, and I will look at why it's failing. For testing if you can share a copy of your SD card (so we can test with the same files) that might also be of help.

Thx

• Might be relevant the tlogs:

TLogs here

and the apmplanner on %Users

3702530367?profile=original

• My entire microSD card :

3702529850?profile=original

The entire card is here: Entire Card

It's irrelevant the number of files that I select. Either 1 or all.... Also is not cable related because I've already debugged that, i.e. tried several known good usb cables.

• 3D Robotics

Luis, sorry to hear about these issues. I don't see any reports from you in the Issue Tracker -- is that where you posted them?  That's the only place developers will follow issue reports.

• Hi Chris

I didn't report any at the GitHub, because I always want to exclude user or config errors on the forae, before I nag the devs, that have way much to do, than give support (IMHO) to user/s errors.

The main issue is still relevant. Why don't the devs sit down and "cook" something multiplatform and full featured on several platforms (while respecting platforms limitations, like android or iOS).

Why did I insist on using APM vs MP with the limitations and lack of features it has regarding MP?? Well, IMHO it's prettier and native on OS X.

This reply was deleted.

Activity