Wifi FPV

Has anyone used a long range wifi connection to fly FPV, showing live video and telemetry feed? heres a lan card I was thinking about

and here is a servo command board http://endurance-rc.com/

they say with a high gain antenna you could get 50km los what you think? I dont know any visual basics and I have not made a fpv system before do you think this is feasible for a noob?  thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That's what wifibroadcast does, it brings graceful degradation to digital video.  Still needs work though, particularly on latency.

John Arne Birkeland said:

Wifi datalink no problem, WiFi digital video stream (h.264 and friends) lots of problems.

The problem with digital video over WiFi can be boiled down to not having graceful degradation.

On analog you have graceful degradation as an inherent part of the composite video signal. As long as you still have a sync signal, the video image just gradually gets more noisy until at last it is completely lost. It also instantly shows an image the moment reception becomes good enough again.

On the other hand digitally compressed video streams have very little margin for error in the signal, and does not handle loss of bandwidth as the WiFi reception degrades. And when the margin is exceeded the video stream will most often break apart completely. And once the stream has broken down, it will need large chunks of valid data and up to several seconds to restore and decode video again.

• What antenna are you proposing? It doesn't seem likely that you'd ever get anything close to 50 km. 

• Developer

Wifi datalink no problem, WiFi digital video stream (h.264 and friends) lots of problems.

The problem with digital video over WiFi can be boiled down to not having graceful degradation.

On analog you have graceful degradation as an inherent part of the composite video signal. As long as you still have a sync signal, the video image just gradually gets more noisy until at last it is completely lost. It also instantly shows an image the moment reception becomes good enough again.

On the other hand digitally compressed video streams have very little margin for error in the signal, and does not handle loss of bandwidth as the WiFi reception degrades. And when the margin is exceeded the video stream will most often break apart completely. And once the stream has broken down, it will need large chunks of valid data and up to several seconds to restore and decode video again.

• i've got some 26db 2.4ghz rocket-dish antennas, how would those do with an n rocket? I am worried about the heavily non-symetric link?

i've got a nice harmonic drive setup I could toss together as a gimbal with some ac servos.

• i've got some 26db 2.4ghz rocket-dish antennas, how would those do with an n rocket? I am worried about the heavily non-symetric link?

i've got a nice harmonic drive setup I could toss together as a gimbal with some ac servos.

• Looks interesting but I dont understand the reason why you want 50km connection?as I know, Drones has cca 20mins of flying duration for one battery charge, so what is the point?

• wifibroadcast is what you sound like you need.

• yes but as far as i know the longer you go the less bandwidth speed u will get ..
    so i think there is two options 
    1- to work on 150 mbps or 300 but with high power mw and dbi to get more range may be use an amplifier  
    or

2- to have have more speed like 850mbps AC so when the plane is far and bandwidth is less it will give u higher mpbs than other 802.11 N or G

Gavin Greenwood said:

I've been planning on using the AC equipment but I just didn't have any AC radios laying around like the others. 

One thing I have found is changing the channel width to 5 MHz is the best thing to do. 

haroon helman said:

why not using rocket AC it gives u more datarate 
    i think it will be better 

• I've been planning on using the AC equipment but I just didn't have any AC radios laying around like the others. 

One thing I have found is changing the channel width to 5 MHz is the best thing to do. 

haroon helman said:

why not using rocket AC it gives u more datarate 

• why not using rocket AC it gives u more datarate 

This reply was deleted.

Activity