WiFi Telemetry with Cheap ESP8266

Hello all,

It's not a new achievement using wifi as Telemetry but this UART to WiFi module has really long range (up to 400 meters), and unbeatable price. Very small form factor (about 2cm x 1.5cm) and light (3 gr). Great for the small sized UAVs. And your Smart Phone or Tablet will become a GCS with no additional hardware. And with module's available GPIOs it's functionality can be increased (PWM, I2C sensors) you can drive LEDs or get sensor data over wifi.

Check out eriksl's great firmware for ESP8266 https://github.com/eriksl/esp8266-universal-io-bridge

I've been experimenting with new ESP8266 UART to WiFi module and happy to announce you that it can be used as Telemetry module. It should work on all MAVlink devices that uses Serial communication. I tested with ESP-03 and APM 2.6 (3.2) and range is acceptable for Follow Me, or Guided missions. it works reliable enough (there is a still rare disconnect issue, it can be power or firmware issue -more testing needed-) , and its really cheap, start as low as 2,5 $ at several stores (its a 3.3v device you will need a good (about 300ma) power source). You should consider it as proof of concept, there is a known bug (as 3.2.1) effects that GCS failsafe not functioning, when GCS communication is lost. I think APM 2.6 users should receive at least a one last bug fix release (several reports indicates 3.2.1 has some issues with altitude calculations), of course you can compile your own verison.

releated fix 

https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/issues/706

https://github.com/R-Lefebvre/ardupilot/commit/8360b3d

For those who are interested, I can provide APM:Copter 3.2 (not 3.2.1) firmware with the fix. I am happy with it, doing some great auto flights, checking parameters, follow me flights, you can fly your UAV even without RC controller, directly from your wifi enabled GCS.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We use esp8266 modules to control swarm of drones

Here are instructions how to configure and connect them - https://github.com/ugcs/ddc/tree/master/WiFi

• Hello, 
    I tring to use ESP based NodeMCU with installed ESP-link for APM 2.8 Telemetry, with No success, 
    I am doing all steps, I instal the latest stable version of ESP-Link and only change the Baud Rate to 57600 from the admin menu of the espm after that I am tring to connect with mission planner with 57600 Baud Rate, TCP and Ip of the NodeCU, port 23.
    What  I miss ?
    I am tring with 2 different boards, and no success, is there a way to debug ? Can I use the uC Console ? it is always empty

Alexey Kozin said:

we have test this software bridge
    i use  V2.1.7 is the most recent release. It has the new built-in stk500v1 programmer and works on all modules (esp-01 through esp-12).

program using ESP8266Flasher.exe

conect gpio0 to gnd and reboot

brige_for_esp12_4m.jpg
    remove jumper  gpio 0 and reboot
    connect to wifi  ESP_XXX
    without password

in address IE type 192.168.4.1
    see web configuration .

change baud  uCconsole  to 57600

connect to apm
    connectapm.jpg

run mission planner TCP  ip 192.168.4.1 port 23

my friend Alex Antonov produce some compact adapters:
    800.jpg

comparation with 3dr radio modem

801.jpg

end-user production

additional info (russian) here here

discussion and tests results (russian) here

WiFi Telemetry with Cheap ESP8266
    Hello all, It's not a new achievement using wifi as Telemetry but this UART to WiFi module has really long range (up to 400 meters), and unbeatable p…
  • Dear all,

It work on my laptop and pixhawk.

Could you please give me solution with my laptop can connect with pixhawk and internet.

Thanks all.

• you used base-firmware . but this is impossible

if you want to use UDP, you should find diffrence firmware.

this post used for TCP connection. 

• Hello!

I'm having a Node MCU and Ardupilot 2.6 APM, now what I'm trying to do is to connect Node MCU and APM via UART. The connections made are as follows(Connections.png):

APM - Node MCU

Tx     -> Rx

Rx     -> Tx

Vcc    ->Vin

GND  ->GND

3702307190?profile=original

Next I've flashed NodeMCU with this firmware

Now what I do is try to connect to APM via Mission Planner using UDP but it fails, or connect it with Tower mobile app but is does not connect.

I've also tried to swap the Tx and Rx connections but no result. Tried on UART1 i.e. GPS port too yet no results.

Noob to APM and ESP, can anyone help me out please? All I wanna do is control my quadcopter from Tower App.

http://www.grubba.com/mavesp8266/firmware-1.1.0.bin

• Alexey Kozin said:

we have test this software bridge
    i use  V2.1.7 is the most recent release. It has the new built-in stk500v1 programmer and works on all modules (esp-01 through esp-12).

brige_for_esp12_4m.jpg
    connect to wifi  ESP_XXX
    without password

see web configuration .

connect to apm
    connectapm.jpg

800.jpg

801.jpg

end-user production

hi  perhaps... Is this firmware to change for ip address or port in https://github.com/jeelabs/esp-link?

• we have test this software bridge

brige_for_esp12_4m.jpg
    connect to wifi  ESP_XXX
    without password

see web configuration .

connect to apm
    connectapm.jpg

800.jpg

801.jpg

end-user production

jeelabs/esp-link
    esp8266 wifi-serial bridge, outbound TCP, and arduino/AVR/LPC/NXP programmer - jeelabs/esp-link
    • 100KM

Can I use this as a relay on my ground station? I would like to keep the sik 2 sik radio connection from the plane to the ground, but on the ground I'd like to have this device relay over wifi to my laptop running mission planner - this way I dont have to be in line of sight of the plane?

• we are working on it..... the idea is to have radio link in the country and use it as relay.

• Also, can I use UDP instead of TCP on that?

This reply was deleted.

Activity