Wind Resistant Drone

Hi guys :)

I'm writing from Turkey. So, I and my crew will attend an armed unmanned aerial vehicle competition. In this competition, the shooting will take place with cameras. For drones, the camera should focus to target drone at least 10 seconds (due to competition rules). Also drones should have enough maneuverability to avoid enemy shoots. I know the areat that this event will be take place is quite windy (up to 30 knots). As a group we found some strategies for competition.

- Being the fastest drone

- Being the drone that is able to rise up to maximum altitude. Hence, nobody can reach us unless we want. 

- Being a small drone. So, our rivals have to close to us.

Whichever strategy I choose, I need to design a good wind resistant drone. So, how can I design that drone? Also do not be hesitate to give me more efficient strategy rather than these mentioned above :) Take care.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am newbie, wanna start from toy drones to practive, any suggestion of toy drones models? 

• You guys are also going to need some toy drones to practice flying if you're not good at that yet. Best of luck. 

• So far, I did not post this question anywhere except for this site. We have an academic advisor. We're working together. Competition will be held in September 2019. So we have a lot of time. By the way, I am really disappointed about racing drones' inefficiency. But  thank you for your suggestions.

Roly said:

From my observation racing drones are very powerful but also very inefficient. I don't think doubling the battery size to a small drone would work, the reason is because you're also adding a lot of weight. I think you'd get somewhere around 10 minutes flight time at the very most. 

I think a better idea would be to think of 7" or even 10" propellers and a big battery. 

Here are some good resources:

rotorbuilds.com - to see what other people are flying, and they sometimes post flight times.

http://dronenodes.com/how-to-build-a-drone/ - general info for beginners

https://www.reddit.com/r/multicopterbuilds/ - another place to post your question

Also, where else are you posting this question? You're going to need a lot more help than just me to get this done right and quickly. 

Wind Resistant Drone
    Hi guys :) I'm writing from Turkey. So, I and my crew will attend an armed unmanned aerial vehicle competition. In this competition, the shooting wil…
  • From my observation racing drones are very powerful but also very inefficient. I don't think doubling the battery size to a small drone would work, the reason is because you're also adding a lot of weight. I think you'd get somewhere around 10 minutes flight time at the very most. 

I think a better idea would be to think of 7" or even 10" propellers and a big battery. 

Here are some good resources:

rotorbuilds.com - to see what other people are flying, and they sometimes post flight times.

http://dronenodes.com/how-to-build-a-drone/ - general info for beginners

https://www.reddit.com/r/multicopterbuilds/ - another place to post your question

Also, where else are you posting this question? You're going to need a lot more help than just me to get this done right and quickly. 

• Actually as you said before, we are really beginners :) yesterday I read something about racing fpv drones. And I am really excited about their speed. However, flight time become a huge problem in this case. A normal racing drone can fly about 5-7 minutes. But I thought that we can increase the batteries' power although drone become heavier. In normal racing drones 1550 mAh 95C batteries are used according to my research. So can't we increase it up to 3500 and higher?
  • Okay, in order to stay up in the air for that long you'll need high efficiency. The bigger the propeller, the higher the efficiency, but also the bigger the drone. I think the smallest form factor that you can use might be a tricopter, but if you guys are beginners I think you'll find a lot more documentation and support with a X4 / Quadcopter frame instead. You could start with a 400/450mm frame. 

• Unfortunately. If I come down once, then I will be eliminated for that round. Competition is consists of 5 rounds.
  • Are you allowed to come down and replace battery?

Mustafa Dogan said:

20 minutes. But not all drones will take off same time. So let's say 23-25 minutes
    Wind Resistant Drone
    Hi guys :) I'm writing from Turkey. So, I and my crew will attend an armed unmanned aerial vehicle competition. In this competition, the shooting wil…
  • 20 minutes. But not all drones will take off same time. So let's say 23-25 minutes
  • Hey, I like the idea of it being a small drone. The limitation with that will be battery life will be 3-7 minutes. What's your competition round time?

This reply was deleted.

Activity