Wind speed/dir from APM?

I notice the APM is (I think) estimating wind speed and direction.  I can display wind speed and direction on Mission Planner and in minimOSD.  I can't find anything documenting this.  How is it coming to this conclusion?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Are any solutions to measure wind speed and direction on the newly AC3.3? I saw there are some telemetry parammeters/ osd parammeters who promise

• Have you clear about wind speed/dir with mutimotor?
  • Is This a relative wind with respect to APM or is it true wind prediction ?

• T3

Anand,

The method computes true wind vector in earth frame of reference. It has been used routinely for fixed wing aircraft by several autopilots, including APM and MatrixPilot. It does provide a reasonably accurate estimate of both the airspeed and the wind speed without an airspeed sensor, provided the aircraft makes a few turns once in a while. The details of the turn are not important, as long as the aircraft changes direction.

Best regards,

Bill

• Hi William, I have looked for the answer to my question and can't seem to nail it down...please help?

Is the MatrixPilot3/4 for use in the APM2.6 while not using an airspeed sensor?, and by downloading it to the APM?

If so...please elaborate on how to use it, or where to find this instruction.

Thank you so much, Patrick aka noob to APM

• T3

Patrick,

MatrixPilot and APM are two different autopilot systems with common roots. MatrixPilot runs on the UAVDevboard and APM runs on the various 3DRobotics platforms. Both systems do a fine job of determining wind vector and airspeed without the need for an airspeed sensor.

Here is a link to the original posting on the method that is used:

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/wind-estimation-without-an

Since you are asking your question on the home of 3DRobotics, I assume that you are using an APM. It is a fine system with plenty of support both from 3DRobotics and the diydrones community.

Best regards,

Bill Premerlani

• That was way too much math. I stop doing math when letters and other funny looking symbols pop up.  I'll take your word for it.  Does this apply to or not apply to multirotors?

• T3

Pedals2Paddles,

As far as I know, the method referenced by Sam does not work for multirotors. Perhaps someone from the APM team can comment on what they are using for multirotors.

Best regards,

Bill

• Pretty cool... I'm looking for something applicable to multirotors, though.

This reply was deleted.

Activity