MR60

World Record for Duration of Flight

3689563453?profile=original
1 hour 20 minutes
- APM 2.5 takes the world record for Multi-Copter Duration of Flight powered by a rechargeable battery. [note:  records also exist for hover that can occur indoors and take advantage of ground affect]

Flight Requirements:

- Distance > 1 kilometer

- Minimum elevation from ground the greater of 2 meters or two prop diameters (no ground affect)

- Lands within 50 meters of Launch

- Minimum of two way points > 0.25 km apart

- Altitude Climbs: Two climbs > 100 meters each

- Ends before voltage drops below recommended minimum level for recharging

- Flight over ground that does not vary more than + 20 meters in elevation

Actual Flight

- Distance: 1 - 2 km

- Min elevation 2 meters

- Ended at start

- Three way points with two 0.3 km apart

- Two climbs:  126 meters and 112 meters

- 13.06 volts left with 10 volt recommended minimum

- Ground + 10 meters

Time:  > 1hr and 20 minutes (81.43 minutes)

Multi-copter:

- Octa 2XQuad 6Up+2Dn (wanted to fly something novel that would show off the flexibility of APM 2.5)

- 3.18 kg AUW

- Li-Ion battery

Attached are the flight logs.  Later I'll provide:

o Video

o Earthview of flight

o Altitude gains

o Details of the copter (design and weights)

2013-11-26 11-41 187.kmz

2013-11-26 11-41 187.log

2013-11-26 11-41 187.log.gpx

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• MR60

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/world-record-flight-achieved-us...

So do I quality for the MR90 badge?

• MR60

Hello guys,

I'm enjoying following your conversation. I provide you hereunder with an excel calc sheet from "EndofDays", which works really well to estimate your flight duration. The only parameter that you will not know before your first flight is "efficiency". After a first flight, in a given config, you will be able to calculate this parameter for your particular motor/prop/esc combo.

Once you have it, you can then use the calc sheet to calculate your flight duration by changing the AUW and/or battery capacity.

I also provide you with a blog I did a long time ago to explain how to make your balsa/CF sandwich panel, if it may be useful:

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/cheapest-diy-rigid-and-light-pl...

cheers,

Hugues

Calcul temps de vol2.zip

• Hi Hugues,

I'm enjoying it also :)

Thanks for the excel file, may I know are you referring to the same motor (MN3508 KV380) on the efficiency and all calculation in the excel file?

• MR60

Hi, this excel sheet is independent of the model/brand of your motors. The efficiency parameter (that you can set at any value) will "integrate" the actual equipment you use. At first you do not know what is the correct value of "efficiency" for your setup. This is why you have to make a first real flight and measure your flight duration; then you enter your setup on one of the lines of this excel sheet; you will get a wrong flight duration value; you then modify the efficiency cell until the flight duration matches with your measurement. You then have the efficiency value you can use for your motors/ESC you are using.

• Using nylon screws works great attaching the motor to the motor firewall on the boom.  The prop however must be attached with AL screws or better and thread locked or you will have a prop motor separation.  

With a prop separation, the quad will never maintain level attitude with a power failure and severe frame damage will surely result.  If you can keep the motors and CF props on these endurance ships, and with a power failure of one motor, I've found that it maintains a level attitude during descent landing flat usually with little damage. The point is not to get too aggressive at saving weight at the prop to motor attach point.  I've never had a failure with four 5mm nylon screws motor to firewall lightly torqued.  In fact they have saved the CF props from damage on many occasions sheering at the right time.

The above comments are based upon experience over several controlled test flight crashes a few of which are available in the Don't Fly Like My Brother Wiki videos. 

• Hi Forrest Frantz,

Are you using 18 awg cable from motor to ESC or lower?

Can it handle 3 Amp draw ?

Thanks

Waladi

• MR60

I'm using 18 AWG magnetic motor wire which has a special coating and is much lighter than sheathed wire.  I've attached an Excel file that will answer all of your questions.  Input only into the purple cells (lengths are in inches).  Go for wire AWG in the green shade.  Friend me if you have any questions.

I've tried to attach the file twice now and it is misbehaving, so friend me for it.

Wire Sizing.xlsx

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702517711?profile=original
      • Thank you for the excel file.

Send you a friend request.

• MR60

It's working now.  Here is the file.  Only change what is in the purple cells.

Wire Sizing.xlsx

• Thanks Forrest,

Leave a comment on your page just now. Sorry for double post but below are some of the comment:

I'm planning to use the same motor MN3508 kv 380 with Li-ion 6s 18300 Mah batteries (2 x 3s in parallel). According to T-motor spec: with 15" prop it will generate 900 gram thrust and consume ~ 4 – 5 Amp.

My total AWG will be around 3.6Kg (will work more on lighter frame).

My questions if you may answer it:

1. If the motor consume 5 A, is it safe to use this 18 awg cable on ESC to motor cable?
            2. Attach is calculate of flight time with formula ((Bat Capacity / Total Amp Consume)*60 Minutes) * 80% of battery capacity. Please advise on any miscalculation or others?

Many thanks in advance.

Quadcopter X4 - Endurance Version.xlsx

This reply was deleted.

Activity