Has anyone tried GoPro to do aerial survey for farms? Given GoPro have wide angle camera of 170 degrees, do you think it would be matter of concern when generating orthomosaics?

Views: 2869

Replies to This Discussion

I use the GoPro for surveys all the time, it's just so convenient due to weight and having the gimbal to stabilize the pictures. Buy PTLens for $20 or so, it corrects the fisheye distortion in a batch process (meaning that you don't have to correct one picture at a time). Then you can get the pictures geotagged for stitching.

Thanks Eric, I am planning to use pix4D for processing and looks like they autocorrect fisheye problem for gopro cameras

Pix4D also does this as well and i think most mapping services will eventually come around to including this feature.

Eric, what process and software are you using to geotag GoPro images?

I use geosetter after having a hard time w/ MP  http://www.geosetter.de/en/  A GoPro works fine, Pix4D corrects the fish eye.  If you have photoshop, you can change the properties to 35mm and geotag in Lightroom.  Agisoft isn't very user friendly, the Pix4D is the way to go.  There are settings in the new mapper version that aren't supported.  The best way to do it is set it on 12MP & I use 1FPS.  Takes a ton of data, be prepared to clog your computer.  

The good thing about the fish eye is you have to fly 500' from roads, people etc.  It still captures it if you fly it high enough, and it will come out in the final mapping.  

Heller, that´s interesting, could you comment which of the Pix4D services are you using, and how much it costs? TIA!

On my laptop, I have the Pix4D mapper that was around $250 a year for a subscription.  They just updated it & limited the GoPro settings to ONLY 12MP or 4K video, otherwise not supported.  That just happened last week in the update.  

The full version is around $350 a month or $8k with the full license.  I did see something through 3DR's website for a full version for $5K.  

What you want to know is what file formats a client wants.

My husband owns an engineering firm, that's how I got started doing this.  

We're buying the full version with a designated computer at the office for this.  That will support all the formats.  It looks like Pix4D is working with DJI to finally get an all inclusive system going.  It's in Beta (what isn't?).  SenseFly sells the full license w/ they're drone as well.  

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service