Admin

Autonomous RMRC Anaconda R/C Plane Project

Hi All,

To be able to help test ArduPlane firmware I have been putting together a RMRC Anaconda twin boom pusher R/C Plane Link. The Anaconda is not an acrobatic air frame and is designed more for endurance flying with the capability to stay in the air for around an hour. I plan to use the Anaconda in a mini OBC to be held here in Southern Florida sometime in the future. 

I have the fuse, the wings, and the tail boom pretty well completed so I thought that I would share my installation of a Pixhawk flight controller and associated components into the Anaconda fuse.

3691176948?profile=original

Pixhawk Flight Controller Platform Front View

3691177106?profile=originalPixhawk Flight Controller Platform Side View

3691177063?profile=originalPixhawk Flight Controller Platform Installed in Fuse

3691177170?profile=originalAir Speed Pressure Sensor and Battery Mounting Plate

3691177128?profile=originalGPS/Compass/Status Led Forward of Wing Mount

3691177089?profile=originalAirspeed Sensor Pitot Tube

3691177191?profile=originalPitot Tube Assembly Side View

3691177262?profile=originalCC Phoenix Edge 100 A ESC and 3DR 915MHz Telemetry Radio

My next step in the Project is to calibrate the sensors and the compass and then load in and customize an Anaconda Parameter File that is available on the RCGroups RMRC Anaconda thread Link . The Anaconda thread is full of good information about what and what not to do when either building the kit or flying the RTF version. I will then attach the ESC and servos to the Pixhawk servo output bus along with a 5.6vdc zener diode to clamp the servo output bus power rail and then begin flight control ground testing.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I haven't fully tested the flight time because it gets boring once the plane has been up in the air for an hour.  From memory, I was using 4500mah from a 6S in about 50 minutes of flight (It had a camera on board though).  The Anaconda is a test platform for the Albatross, which I hope to get 3-4 hours flight time.

• Adam,  What kind of flight times are you getting with it?  I am still trying to decide between the Anaconda and the Skyhunter.  Long range is definitely my goal.

Adam Kroll said:

I definitely wouldn't be hand launching it. Its really made to glide efficiently, its not too reactive at all.
  • I definitely wouldn't be hand launching it. Its really made to glide efficiently, its not too reactive at all.
  • What servos are you guys using for the ailerons and v-tail, other than the stock ones?

• Paul. On the Anaconda thread, someone designed skids mounted to the bottom of the anaconda for hand launching and landing. You may want to contact him. Check out post #486 

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2141888&page=33 

Paul Morgan said:

Excited about getting my Anaconda setup with the Pixhawk!  Are the provided param files setup for auto-land and takeoff?  Also, anyone flying the Anaconda without the landing gear and instead hand launching?

• Excited about getting my Anaconda setup with the Pixhawk!  Are the provided param files setup for auto-land and takeoff?  Also, anyone flying the Anaconda without the landing gear and instead hand launching?

• Hi Guys,

Got the Anaconda airborne on Maiden in Manual - good. Loaded Typicalaimsters config file - good. Still have Manual and stick mixing - good. What I don't have is Stabilize (moving the board does not move the control surfaces) - not good. I am using a Taranis and did the V-tail mixing in the Tx.

What am I missing (or, more likely, what have I got wrong)?

Any ponters will be gratefully received.

Cheers

• Admin

@Bruce,

Why did you do the V-tail mixing in the Tx when the Navigation Controller (APM/Pixhawk?) will do it for you?

Here is the V-Tail Mixing Setup in the ArduPlane Wiki.

Besides, Typicalaimster's parameter file should be setup for V-Tail Mixing.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

• Thanks (again) Thomas. Why the Tx? It's the result of an OSI (Ocassional Stupidity Incident). I will now de-stupid my setup and let you know how it goes.

Cheers

• Admin

@Bruce,

After you have the V-Tail Mixer setup for the Manual Mode where  the control surfaces move correctly in relation to your Transmitter input, make sure the control surfaces move correctly to counter pitch and roll induced by hand to keep the aircraft level in the FBWA Mode. The V-T Mixer instruction are pretty clear about making sure the FBWA Mode is working correctly after setting up the Manual Mode.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

This reply was deleted.