Hello! I am rebuilding an old APMBoat from a few years ago, and at the time was unable to find a way to get the boat to hold position. When it reached the final waypoint, it would just stop and float with the current/wind. The only thing I was able to do is have it change speed and repeat a pattern with the DO_JUMP command very slowly. 

But that wastes power - is there a way to get it to return to a location if it drifts a set distance away? 

I was thinking I would use a geofence, but it looks like that capability is not implemented iwth APMRover. 

Any workarounds, suggestions? 

Thanks!

Views: 4764

Replies to This Discussion

Grant,  Did anything ever happen with this " position hold mode", or what ever you want to call it.  It would be great to have a boat go into HOLD mode and then if it drifted outside of a certain user defined radius it would then power back up and go to the location it was in when the HOLD was started.

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

I second this - so far as far as I know this has not been implemented. But I am ready to help in any way I can! My boat is available for testing anytime. 

Yes I have it implemented but it needs a little more work.  Its in my repository at the moment:

https://github.com/gmorph/ardupilot/tree/rover-return-to-loiter-way...

I've been busy adding arming to the Rover code which is now in master and I should be able to work on this soon.  Not much longer!

Thanks, Grant.

Like!

Thanks Grant! I know I'll use it too for my USV. Time to get some real work done out on the water.

So it will be in 2.52 beta or 2.53 beta?  I just noticed 2.51b last night.

Thanks again Grant!

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

do you have a link to a thread with the building of this boat. Great job!!! I'm curious what you came up with to steer that motor with.

It might be in 3.0.0 beta.  LOTS of changes in the upcoming Rover release including the new EKF and arming so I thought I'd jump the version number.  Any thoughts on this are welcome.

Thanks, Grant.

Grant,

First of all, all of  you developers are doing a world of good.  Active loiter for boats will be huge and what ever number beta release you want to call it is fine with me.  One last question for you and then I promise to leave you alone.  Are Rally Points possible in the rover code?  In the Rover manual they are talked about but it sounds like it may be just Plane and Copter.  I have not tested to see if they work and just thought I would ask first.  Again great job.

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

Harass me as much as you like - that's what I'm here for :-)

Rally points aren't in Rover yet.  I'm interested to know how you would like them to function in Rover?  RTL to the nearest rally point?

Thanks, Grant.

Grant,

I'm thinking rovers and boats using the same code could benefit from a passive or active Loiter to the rally point.  Or a passive and active RTL.  The problem with boats obviously is you want them to failsafe to somewhere they can get to and be there by the time you can get out to them.  The rover is just going to sit there and wait for help to arrive.  Sound like a good idea?

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

I am sorry, I do not - however, it's worth noting I no longer have the motor on the back like this. It placed too much pressure on servos, and also did not allow any maneuvering without power. I have changed it to a motor pod/rudder type situation. 

Nice! If the code did allow for position hold your propulsion set up could go a long way to letting that happen. It could even push the boat sideways or backwards as needed provided the steering could move that much. But... not sure how you'd get the nose of the boat in line with the 'rudder' after that.. 

That must turn some heads people seeing a boat with nobody driving :]

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service