After 30+ years of flying Nitro fixed wings, NiMh cars and cheep RTF helicopters I find myself lacking on the large battery LiPo side of things. With that I went to a trusted hobby shop for advice and to purchase a battery for the y6 that is already ordered from 3dr. This created more questions than answers.
1) What is the "best" voltage for a Hex? - # of cells - using 3dr esc's, transponder and standard r/c receiver.
2) Where is the sweet spot for mAh for a Hex?
3) There is a rating of "c" that indicates the available discharge amps (as per the owner of the shop) He recommended/guesstimated that it be greater than 40 because of the size and draw from motors based on the props being used. My question is how best to calculate the requirements so that the battery is not fried because of an over draw?
4) A point of observation in his selection of 8 to 10 brands is that given the same spec the price was similar... Given this quick observation is there a brand that has shown to out perform others?
5) Is there something unforeseen in battery choice.
I found this site that assisted, but thought I would check with those that have gone down this path...