Replies

• Wait, what?!? -

From your other posts, and asking this kind of question, you sound like a photographer, who is not really an r/c airplane hobbiest and hasn't flown before.

If that's not true, then just please ignore what's coming next, it not meant for someone skilled. But, if so, then buckle up, it's going to get bumpy.

-------------------------------

You sound just like me when I started in this hobby, so listen up please listen.

Step 1 - You need to sit down and read the ardupilot.com website from stem to stern, before you come back here. You have to have been there already to have installed the APM Planner software, :P

Step 2 - BEFORE you take your copter out for a test flight you need to train yourself on just how squirrelly MANUALLY flying these things can be, without risking your equipment. Automatic flight is not going to cover all your needs. 

Flying any rc plane/copter away from your gets very different when you turn it around and fly it toward yourself.

To work that out, find some RC flying simulation software that comes with an attachment for your transmitter and get comfortable flying there in cyber space. There you can crash all you want and there's no harm done.

And above all, practise, practise, practise, because you're about to take command of a flying guillotine of small animals, not a toy.

One of things you'll want to do is join an R/C club and/or flying at an R/C park. I discovered flying my quad at a local R/C park, is that the R/C club members stop by to watch their own crashes as well as their flights, not just newbies, they'll tell you everything you want to know and the stories are memorable.

I know I sound like a drill instructor but you are doing more than just taking pretty pictures, you're piloting an aircraft and preparation will save yourself time, money and pain.

The youtube channel rcmodelreviews is another great resource for all the aspects of r/c flying.

You're going to be surprised, if not very concerned, when those blades spin up for the first time.

Having said all that, if you stick with it, and take care of your rig, you'll find yourself standing a little taller having mastered it.

• My choices we're Stabilize, Alt-hold, Acro, Loiter, RTL and Auto.

John
  • http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/flight-modes/

just click each of the modes

regards

This reply was deleted.