How to write Conceptual Design ?

Hello All,

I have to write a conceptual design report inorder to get the fund to make my drone project. But I have no idea how to write conceptual design. In the questions that I am reuired to answer, describing mission requirenments(they are already given) and transleting them into desing requirenments.

There are 2 missions given;

1)  The drone has to complete the area which have four 5m tall masts and it is supposed to draw zigzags between them. After passing a mast, The Drone must successfully change in direction and keep flying to the other mast in the most possible speed and stability.

[ Flight and maneuvering capabilities should be strong in my drone, and of course It should complete the parkor as soon as possible ]

2) The drone is supposed to take 4 payloads ( rigid objects with minimum 100 g mass in cubic (5 cm x 5 cm x 5 cm) )  and transport them to four targets, leaving one cubic in each target area. The Drone must leave the cubics from the minimum height of 5,5m .

[ Abilities of The Drone in transporting payloads such as Firefighting or first aid equipment quickly and successfully to the target points will be tested so it should fly stable and drop the loads to the certain area, not outside of the area  ]

I've actually designed some mechanism to take the loads and drop them. But how can I write this to report. I am required to submit 20 - 60 pages. I am opened to any advice about anything in my project ? Can you please help me?

Thank you

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Osman, perhaps this helps with your need to throw things http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-electro-permanent-magnet-gr...

A n8m gps with a plane downside  have nice precision to do the task with less cost than a rtk

• Non-rtk GPS has 10-15 m precision, as declared by a manufacturer,

due to ionospheric error, so is not fit for precision flying,

so is not fit to accomplish this task.

• I declared by my oun experience, 30 cm err; but rtk is more precise but more expensive If his proyect can afford it, is better but not the only possibility.

• That's really a great idea, Thank you Cala.

• @Osman

Cala is PR Marketing Manager at DIYDrones ;)

Promoting lidar, sonar she claims   GPS err in altitude,

promoting GPS she claims excellent accuracy.

Always visit webpage of the manufacturer

https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/neo-m8n

Accuracy of m8n is 2.0 m (by manufacturer)

vs. 30 cm claimed by Cala.

So m8n is not good to accomplish your task.

What comes next is GPS offset due to mobility and GPS clock.

M8N can be clocked 5Hz or 10Hz

If you fly at 1m/s speed

so a single GPS clock frame's duration is 1/5s

so GPS offset dynamic error value is another 20cm

If you fly at 5m/s

extra error value is 1.0m

GPS offset dynamic error value is due to NMEA sentences received

and processed by firmware at GPS clock intervals.

Calculated GPS fix value is dynamic GPS geolocation value, random offset value from a range between 2 ground control points, you fly over.

Since GPS offset has dynamic nature as a function of drone's speed, the faster you fly the greater GPS offset error is generated.

• follow up

2.0m GPS accuracy is CEP calculated mean value accuracy

so real GPS fix values can jump 10.0m and more

read about Circular error probable from

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_error_probable

Circular error probable
      In the military science of ballistics, circular error probable (CEP) (also circular error probability or circle of equal probability) is a measure of…
  • MR60

break the mission into small distinct components (reverse, ziz-zag, maintain speed, carry 100 gram load, pick-up 100 gram load, drop off 100-gram load, etc). These are called Requirements. So just list all of the requirements.

Then as Shyam suggests, draw a concept and show how the concept components addresses which requirement. Show that all of the requirements are addressed.

P.S. I hope you know enough about Darius to not take him seriously. He's quite the jokester.

• :)) Thank you Forrest Frantz, I'll do it.

• @Forrest,

don't fool a nice guy

High-tech drone projects don't get assigned to one-man developer.

Universities generally know how to write grant applications.

read

"

3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ‘‘(4) each operator of a test site under section 44802; ‘‘(5) the Center of Excellence for Unmanned Aircraft Systems; ‘‘(6) unmanned aircraft systems stakeholders; and ‘‘(7) community-based aviation organizations. ‘‘(d) FAA APPROVAL.—Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of the Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act of 2016, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall establish a process for the approval of small unmanned aircraft systems make and models based upon safety standards developed under subsection (a). The consensus safety standards developed under subsection (a) shall allow the Administrator to approve small unmanned aircraft systems for operation within the national airspace system without requiring the type certification process in parts 21 and 23 of the Code of Federal Regulations. ‘‘(e) ELIGIBILITY.—The standards for approval of small unmanned aircraft systems developed under this section shall set eligibility requirements for an airworthiness approval of a small unmanned aircraft system which shall include the following: "

• I'll consider your warnings. Thank you for warning me Darius Jack ;)

This reply was deleted.