Replies

• Thank´s sunflower makes the field really nice :)   Aprox one month each other the tree photos

3702123185?profile=original

• Laser Developer is

our top expert in laser range finders

from

http://www.lightware.co.za/

Thank you

@Laser Developer

--

Feel free to drop an email to Tracy: info@lightware.co.za for any further technical information or help with buying.

--

===============================================

Reply by Laser Developer on July 29, 2012 at 9:48am

Hi Nick,

There has been very little response to this product from the UAV community so the project has kinda fallen off the table.

One or two comments from UAV enthusiasts point to the availability of altimeters based on air pressure that are more than adequate for most applications (and very cheap). I think that this has set the market perception with regard to price and anything that is more expensive is generally regarded as unnecessary.

We have also made an Arduino compatible version that is easier to integrate into some control platforms and we are still open to discussion and suggestions from anyone who thinks that there is a potential market for a laser altimeter, but right now we are working on other applications.

LD 

• I understand Darius' point of view but perhaps he is talking about a different problem. If I understand your original question correctly it is to reduce the chance of crashing into the ground whilst flying at low level over a clearly defined field. This is not about obstacle avoidance, which would require a more complicated solution, but about maintaining a consistent height above the ground.

I have taken the liberty of running a quick test using a LiDAR over the field near our offices. The type of LiDAR that I'm using has filtering capability and in the plot below I have shown the raw data, taken directly from the measurements of the plants, as well as the filtered data:

3702122926?profile=original

The "rough terrain" caused by gaps between the plants is smoothed out to a large extent by the filter. Using the filtered data as an AGL measurement it might be possible to hold altitude to within 20cm or so.

The next issue, perhaps more complicated, is integrating the LiDAR data into the flight control system in a "safe" way so that it is only used for control purposes inside the boundaries of the field. Additionally, some reference to the barometric and GPS altitude might be helpful if you want to make a high reliability solution with redundant data sources. Unfortunately, this type of altitude control is not yet available in the Pixhawk or its derivatives (as far as I know) but there are number of groups working on it and hopefully a complete solution will be available soon.

• Thank's for your test Laser, yes, I only need to reduce the chance of crash on the ground when I fly low, now I'm using fpv for that task but in the last firm it was incorporated the Lidar Lite support and I think as more people try it and feedback, we are going to have faster reliable solutions.

I am "she" ;)

• Cala,

please what's the crop in the pics ?

Thanks

• sunflower3702801243?profile=original

• beautiful...........

what's the time span between the two pics ?

• Easy guess

No.1,2

Posted by Cala on November 9, 2015 at 9:14am 

No.3

Reply by Cala 1 hour ago

Just 3 days only ;)

@Cala  (@Laser)

Today your sunflowers are 1-2 mts high

so flying at 2-3 mts is not safe and mini Lidar can generate 50%-70% error in relative altitude.

BTW

@Laser Developer

are you the genuine developer of mini Lidar ,

promoting your excellent product with @Cala ?

• It's easy to know your concern if you go to the user profiles, (I understand what you mean because I read lots of times in forums but not the case)  http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/laser-altimeter-new-design 

Thank's, you allow me to find Laser interesting post

• http://www.pulsedlight3d.com/products/lidar-lite-v2-blue-label.html

https://www.dragoninnovation.com/projects/32-lidar-lite-by-pulsedlight

http://www.robotshop.com/en/pulsedlight.html

@Cala,

since you have asked about LIDAR light originally

I visited web page of Lidar Light, as above (C&P fails with Android).

Chris Anderson, CEO at 3D Robotics endorsed Lidar Light

with his comments.

Not sure about the implementations and applications to control a drone.

@Lader started his project from $450

today price dropped to $120

and what is really hot is 3D Laser scanner technology.

--

“PulsedLight takes distance range finding from the expensive, closed solution that it is today to small, cheap and open. This is tremendously appealing to us at 3D Robotics, as is the potential this has for getting us to truly autonomous UAVs without relying solely on GPS.” - Chris Anderson, CEO of 3D Robotics

This reply was deleted.