Use this discussion for software issues, or start a new discussion (Add a Discussion)

Views: 3273

Replies to This Discussion

Or only:

iw phy

I think it is a bad nic driver. Everything works if I use another nic with only 2.4ghz band. The driver works with a 5GHZ Dlink AP so the 5GHz band functions but none of the iw commands work with this AC nic.

I can list with iw list and it shows the 5GHz freqs but still will not configure the AD-HOC network which works fine on the 2.4ghz nic 0bd:8178 rtl8188cus.

Too bad because I bought a lot of nics to find this small one with external ant and 600mbs bandwidth on 11AC.

Thanks very much for the help, clearly I would have never gotten it to work.

Back to the drawing board.

I deleted wlan2 but no change, still returns the same error when trying to create ah0.

I think it is a bad nic driver. Everything works if I use another nic with only 2.4ghz band. The 8812AU driver works with a 5GHZ Dlink AP so the 5GHz band functions but none of the iw commands work with this AC nic.

I can list with iw list and it shows the 5GHz freqs but still will not configure the AD-HOC network which works fine on the 2.4ghz nic 0bd:8178 rtl8188cus.

Too bad because I bought a lot of nics to find this small one with external ant and 600mbs bandwidth on 11AC.

Thanks very much for the help, clearly I would have never gotten it to work.

Back to the drawing board.

Mike, I has searching a lot, too. This one runs fine with 2.4 and 5ghz. No driver compiling necessary, only install the firmware (sudo apt-get install firmware-ralink) to get it to work.

Ok, try to get a RT5572 usb wifi stick, than it should work.

I had to do the followings to work with Wifi dongle from buffalo on BBB-mini.

1) root@beaglebone:/# sudo apt-get install usbutils
2) root@beaglebone:/etc# apt-get install wpasupplicant
3) root@beaglebone:~# apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-ralink
4) root@beaglebone:~# sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
# WiFi Example
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid your-SSID
wpa-psk your-pass

I do not know whether to worse it do or not.

Thanks Jiro. I have the dongle working it just does not respond to configuration commands correctly. I can't set it to operate on the 5GHz AC band. I want 600mbs bandwidth. I want a 5GHz "tunnel" to the ground station.

Mirko I looked for a RT5572 but the only vendor making one with external antenna is Rosewill RNX-N600UBE v2 and can't find anyone selling it.

Will keep looking.

Mike
Remember chipset has to be compliant nl80211 on desired modes (AP, ADHOC, other)
If not, its a waste of time and $$

Unfortunately it doesn't look like nl80211 supports AC.

Apparently not yet, in the meantime you can get  802.11a based chipsets that gives pretty good throughput.

Hopefully we will get an Atheros or Broadcom  AC based usb dongle soon ;-)

Pretty tight filter

small/light

external ant

high bandwidth

debian driver

nl80211 compliant

If it were easy everyone would be doing it, right?

Yep ,

Welcome in the DIY Zone... 50 hours of bench for 1 hour of fly :-)

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service