3 Axis Gimbal for Iris+ - looking for suggestions.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 3-axis gimbal for an Iris+?

The only option I have found out there is the DYS 3 Axis.  Are there any others that work with a GoPro Hero 4 Black?

Thanks, erik

p.s.

If someone who owns a DYS and an Iris sees this, I have a few questions:

1. Does the DYS integrate with pixhawk?
    • Meaning in auto missions or follow me, will the Iris+ be able to tilt the camera up and down to keep the subject in frame?
  2. Is there an interface plate, or do I have to find someone to 3D print one for me?
  3. Does the DYS work with a GoPro 4 black?
  4. How are the vibration levels?
  5. Is it difficult to install
    • Complicated software config I can handle, but on the hardware side I'm pretty awful at soldering and tend to really mess things up.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Looks like get FPV is sold out of the dys gimbles. Hmmmm wonder why???
    • So did you get them or not?  If it turns out you don't like them for some reason, I'll be interested in buying one from you.

• I just bought 2 of them from get FPV. Com
  • I have and Iris and an x8. I use the DYS 3 axis gimble on both, total plug and play with no tweeking. I use the factory mounting plates on both ships and bought no aftermarket brackets. Had to install a stepdown bec on the x8 because its runng 4s. Too many volts for the gimble. Or you can install a little 3 cell lipo to independently run the gimble. Great gimble for the money!!!

• I heard back from XProHeli, this is what they had to say about the SteadyGo...

The main reason we swtiched to the SteadyGo is because it is solid, has high torque motors and requires no tuning or parameter changes. It just works - and it comes with a warranty.

I personally have not tested this gimbal under an Iris+ yet but we do have a another Iris unit in route which I plan to test the gimbal out on. 

In all my other test using the XP2 I have been getting excellent results. The gimbal is very solid and the footage I am getting is some of the best I have got from a gopro gimbal setup. 

The only thing that is tricky with this gimbal is the tilt control. The dedicated tilt channel needs to be centered for the gimbal to remain in static position, so any + or - input above or below the center of the channel tilts the camera up or down. On my radio I have a 3 way switch set so that the center position of the switch matches the center sweep of the tilt channel, so to tilt down I flip the switch down and then flip the switch back to center when I get the gopro to the desired angle. To tilt back up I flip the switch up and then back to center to stop. 

Hope that helps

Ive also attached user guide for your reference. 

Let me know if you have any questions

• I would hate to buy a gimbal I couldn't tune.  See my post above for some suggestions that look as good as the steadygo but are tunable.

• Before I bought another DYS, I would like to see actual footage from the Gimbal...

• Several days ago “famous” Marco uploaded the raw footages of new DYS Marcia gimbal.

https://youtu.be/kGyhT8SGcbQ

Those footages are amazing but Marco is an expert and he had gone through serious tuning.

He said:

After some intense days of tuning and hardware changes i was able to get this amazing results, now i can do intensive tests at the flying field. "DYS Marcia" is a great 3-axis gimbal, unfortunately does't work well "out-of-the-box", it requires some hardware changes in order to have all the remote control offered by "Basecam" 32 bit board, for remote video from GoPro and to remove any residual vibrations. The video is the raw output of GoPro, without any post stabilization, in the second part (slow motion) you can see a few drops of rain. Please do not ask about my settings, i was tuned on my hardware changes:

- "roll" pin for rx sbus total control, wired on the slip ring
      - GoPro 4 built-in charge
      - GoPro 4 remote video output wired on the slip ring
      - bluetooth module for remote control
      - double anti-vibration system - static balance on roll (must improve aesthetically)

• I agree, but if it really has the Alexmos 32 bit and the integrated cabling as shown, I suspect it will be amazing.

• Wow..

After reading all the posts in this thread, seeking a 3 axis gimal for Iris+ has a long way to go ...

I am standing at a crossroads : Solo, Phantom3 or a better gimbal for Iris+.

Disappointed at Iris+, I have trouble having a confidence in Solo until I am totally convinced by numerous user footages.

This reply was deleted.