How to add MinimOSD to Iris+, Not Iris.

Is there a clear concise set of instructions on how to add MinimOSD to the Iris+? Most of what I have found is geared toward the Iris and you only have to connect to the empty Telem2 port on the Pixhawk. Obviously the Iris+ is using the Telem2 port for telemetry to the RC Tx. There is mention of making a Y cable and I can do that but I don't know what the connections need to be. Is there a diagram and is it really that easy? No parameters to update or anything like that?

A list of what I have

Iris+

Minimosd v1.1

Tarot T-2D

GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Boscam TX832 VTx

I need to be able to integrate the minimosd into my GPH4/TX832 hardware setup. I may have already stumbled across the correct way to do it somewhere on Youtube or one of the other dozen plus sites that claim to have instructions but they are either very incomplete or appear to be talking about the Iris and not the Iris+. I can't afford to fry a couple hundred dollars worth of equipment trying to figure it out. If anyone had something they could share I'd be very grateful!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just so you know, yes this was the issue

Rick Logan said:

If I mistakenly connected the TX from the OSD to the RX of the pixhawk, would that cause me to to be able to connect the tower app?

heliotrope said:

Hi there! I just did this with my Iris+.  

1: You need a MinimOSD or clone, the GoPro cable, and an additional servo-type cable to go from MinimOSD to the TX.

2: You will need a spare 6-pin connector from 3dr, and a y-cable for the OSD from 3dr.  You could make these from scratch. You'll be cannibalizing these, so anything with the right connectors will work.  Part names: Telemetry/OSD Y-cable adapter cable for APM 2.6 and 3DR Radio and DF13 6 Position Connector 5 cm.

Begin by carefully replacing the 5 pin connector on the Y-cable with a 6-pin connector.  This gets RX, +5V, and GND pins connected on the OSD.  Remember that the TX pin (on the Pixhawk) need to go to the RX pin on the minimosd. Depending on your cable, you may need to adjust the pin positions (swapping around).  The pinouts for both Pixhawk and OSD are available on the wiki. Just make sure that :

Pix ---> OSD

TX -> RX

+5V -> +5V

GND -> GND

You'll then need to route the missing connections from the 6-pin connector on the Pixhawk to the 6-pin connector on the other side.  This is because you'll be splitting the TELEM1 position, not the telem2 position.

It should be:

5V -> 5V

RX -> RX

TX -> TX

CTS-> CTS

RTS->RTS

GND-GND

Of course, you may need to split a cable or two to make sure that the OSD gets the right connections and the tele gets the right connections.

Once that is done, plug the connector into your TELEM1 port, then the OSD and the Telemetry Radio on the other end.  It'll work like a champ.  See the photos below for what it looks like:

3702279301?profile=original

3701998298?profile=original

Good luck and feel free to ask if there are any other questions!

• If I mistakenly connected the TX from the OSD to the RX of the pixhawk, would that cause me to to be able to connect the tower app?

heliotrope said:

Hi there! I just did this with my Iris+.  

1: You need a MinimOSD or clone, the GoPro cable, and an additional servo-type cable to go from MinimOSD to the TX.

2: You will need a spare 6-pin connector from 3dr, and a y-cable for the OSD from 3dr.  You could make these from scratch. You'll be cannibalizing these, so anything with the right connectors will work.  Part names: Telemetry/OSD Y-cable adapter cable for APM 2.6 and 3DR Radio and DF13 6 Position Connector 5 cm.

Begin by carefully replacing the 5 pin connector on the Y-cable with a 6-pin connector.  This gets RX, +5V, and GND pins connected on the OSD.  Remember that the TX pin (on the Pixhawk) need to go to the RX pin on the minimosd. Depending on your cable, you may need to adjust the pin positions (swapping around).  The pinouts for both Pixhawk and OSD are available on the wiki. Just make sure that :

Pix ---> OSD

TX -> RX

+5V -> +5V

GND -> GND

You'll then need to route the missing connections from the 6-pin connector on the Pixhawk to the 6-pin connector on the other side.  This is because you'll be splitting the TELEM1 position, not the telem2 position.

It should be:

5V -> 5V

RX -> RX

TX -> TX

CTS-> CTS

RTS->RTS

GND-GND

Of course, you may need to split a cable or two to make sure that the OSD gets the right connections and the tele gets the right connections.

Once that is done, plug the connector into your TELEM1 port, then the OSD and the Telemetry Radio on the other end.  It'll work like a champ.  See the photos below for what it looks like:

3702279222?profile=original

3701998298?profile=original

Good luck and feel free to ask if there are any other questions!

• 3702278980?profile=originalSo........I got it connected, here is my "Y" connector. However, when this is connected I can't connect with the tower app. Also at first I didn't connect the "CTS" and RTS" wires, but I thought that maybe that was the issue, so I connected them, and still the same thing

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702278980?profile=original
  • I know that this is an older topic, but I FINALLY found it after 3 days of searching, does anyone have a clearer pic of the "Y" cable, maybe out of the Iris?

Thanks

• Ah, yeah.  You need a 5 pin FTDI to program minimOSD.  I had to connect the DTR/GRN pins to access the bootloader.  You'll get it! Almost there!

• Well it is fixed! Got the cable today and in about 10 minutes got it updated including the charset file. I have a pretty annoying flicker of the osd text. Guessing I need to connect directly to battery for correct ref voltage?
    • Hmm, no, I think that has to do with the PAL/NTSC settings. In the osd program update, you might need to change it to match your VTx and GoPro / Cam. Congrats! I'm brand new to the Iris community and super glad I could be helpful.

I noticed you've done some high speed runs - any tips on adusting WPNAV speeds to make the iris film smoother in autonomous mode?

• Wow, you nailed it again. Thanks. I could have sworn I changed it to NTSC but it was still on PAL. Switched and it's perfect now. 

I've only done a little filming during high speed runs so I don't have anything useful to share yet. Now that I go this problem behind me I can button up the whole package, balance it, and test my new compass and accelerometer calibrations to see if it helps. 

I am not sure what parameters to tweak yet but I haven't even tried an autonomous flight yet. I'll share back as I learn though. I definitely need to figure it out. 

• Yup. Happy to share what I've got.  I'll be posting some vids soon - just doing the last final tuning on my DYS gimbal.  How good is your footage? Mine is close to perfect without processing, but there is a tiny jump or shake irregularly.  I'll make a new thread about it and we can see if anyone else has any input.

• On order. Be here tomorrow.
This reply was deleted.