Iris+ Crash and need help getting log files using APM

Hi guys,

I recently had another crash with my Iris+. I was taking it for a short flight for about 3-5 minutes and everything was going fine. While hovering at about 50m a short distance from the RTL location, I noticed it kind of dropping and falling backwards and then catching itself. This put me into kind of a panic mode but if I remember right, I put it in RTL mode and this continued so then I tried both Stablize and Loiter modes to land it safely. (Someone on the FB mentioned I should have switched to land mode) It seemed to not be following commands until it came down on the roof about 20m behind me, then 'jumped' off landing on a bush before flipping over onto the patio. Luckily, it came away with just a couple bent propellers and missing leg pad.

The Iris+ is less than a month old, so I'd like to find out what happened. I know I need to get the log files from it, but I'm not sure how.

Can anyone help with a walkthrough on how to do it using APM 2.0 on a Mac???

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Alex

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Alex,

I took a stab at it but Vu has access to people that can read sections of the logs that I am not familiar with.

What I noticed.

Looking at the current draw I assume you had the gimbal and camera attached?

According to the log altitude control was good the entire flight but that seems odd since there were some serious pitch control issues that appeared about the time you went to RTL. I would have thought those would affect altitude more than they did.

Yaw and roll control were solid. It looks like the flight computer was commanding the wild pitch oscillations but VU's folks will figure that one out.

The IMUs looked like they didn't deviate from each other as well but I don't understand yet how to read the EKF stuff in the logs.

You were pretty high so I thought about high winds from the front or rear inducing the pitch oscillations but it looked to rhythmic to be caused by wind.

We'll both learn something new when the experts weigh in on it.
    • Thanks for having a look, Mark.

I didn't have the Gimbal attached, only the GoPro to the front mount. I have a gimbal, but had a flip over on takeoff a couple of weeks ago and am saving the gimbal until I get more confident in flying, plus the screws that attach the gimbal to the iris didn't come with it, so had to wait a few weeks for them to be replaced.

As for the altitude, it was going find until I brought it back to land. This is when it starting 'dropping backwards and catching itself' as it was coming down.

As for the wind, there was a slight breeze, but nothing that would have caused the things it was doing. I've had in much stronger wind and came out fine.

Thanks again for taking a look. I'm a beginner so have no idea what the logs mean, so am keen to get everything figured out so it goes back to flying normal.

• 3D Robotics

Hi Alex,

Yikes, I'm sorry about your crash.  To download logs from APM planner, please do the following:

1) Connect
    2) Click Graphs
    3) Click Download Logs
    4) Click Refresh
    5) Select the log or logs and click Download Log(s)
    6) Once they're finished downloading, you can click cancel.
    The logs are stored in apmplanner2/dataflashLogs folder
    *Please see image
    Once you have the logs, please send them to help@3dr.com.  We'll get to the bottom of it for you!

unnamed.jpg

• Thanks Vu. I just saw your post on the FB page and think I have them downloaded. I'll send them over!

And for anyone else who wants to have a peek. Here is the log.

15-01-29_20-28-10.bin

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702545470?profile=original
This reply was deleted.