Reduce vibration and jello to get smooth video.

I thought I would start a thread on reducing vibration and jello for those of us that use the Iris+ to shoot video.

Personally, I've found the Iris+ to be very stable since the first day.  I rarely get jello, and any vibration I get is easily removed with Final Cut X.  For the most part, if winds aren't too strong, I do not get vibration.

There is plenty of information on the world-wide-inter-webs about reducing vibration in quads, but not everything is relevant to an Iris+.  If I get enough feedback and advice here, I will put together a summary.  Again, the idea is to keep suggestions specific to the Iris+.

Some quick notes of my own to get things rolling:

Definitions:

• Vibration is what one would expect.  Tiny little shaky movements in video footage.

• Jello is a sort of a wavy effect that makes almost looks like you are viewing your video through a fun-house mirror. I guess its called "jello" because it looks like jello wiggling.

Note: Vibration can be fixed in post using Final Cut X or other video editing software.  Jello can not be fixed in post.

Gimbals are a must:
A gimbal is a must for shooting smooth video.  Currently your choices are:

• Tarot 2D.  
    Sold specifically for the Iris+ on 3DRs website.
    Its very good, but its 2 axis only and when doing slow vertical shoots, or even when just hovering in place, your video may exhibit small twitches back and forth (yaw twitches).

• DYS 3 Axis.
    This is what I use.  It is a pain to set up and configure (though I bought mine pre-configured and programed from xproheli.com).  Based on my research it is the best option out there.

• Feiyu-tech G3.  Some people swear by these, but I was told that they can be twitchy and so I went with the DYS.

Note:  All 3 of these gimbals are marketed for the GoPro Hero 3, but I've used both the Tarot 2D and the DYS with a GoPro Hero 4 Black with no noticeable difference.

Common tips to reduce vibration:

• Balance your props.
    I assume that the Iris+ props provided by 3DR are balanced right out of the box, but this seems to be the number one recommendation for reducing vibration in quads in general.  Personally I don't have the equipment to test my props for balance so I've never done it.

• Level motors.
    On another quad I used to fly, this was important.  Make sure motors are installed correctly and level and balanced relative to one another. If you imagine your Iris+ is sitting on a level surface, and that a sheet of glass is resting on top of all 4 motors, then that sheet of glass should be completely level.  (I know what I'm trying to say, but does that make sense?).

• Use the right compression dampeners on your gimbal. 
    I was advised NOT to use the grey dampeners that came with the DYS 3 axis.  The black Tarot dampeners (that you get with a Tarot 2D) are better.  I can confirm that in cold weather, the black Tarot dampeners are indeed better.  I have not tested in warm weather yet, but eventually I will.  I wonder how much difference atmospheric temperature makes.

• Calibrate your ESCs.
    Its easy to do and it can make a big difference.  http://youtu.be/6kfVusza17I

• Compass calibration.
    This is not so much about directly reducing vibration as it is about improving flight performance.  If your compass is not perfectly calibrated you might find yourself fighting the Iris+ as you try to fly it.  This can result in the occasional jerk or snap in your video, and just generally makes it harder to keep the subject in frame.    http://youtu.be/oD9Z9IR2TNU

• IMU Calibration.
    I've never done it on an Iris+ and don't know how.  To be honest I don't even know what IMU stands for, though I've done it on other quads with great success (in terms of reducing vibration).

• Don't fly in Loiter to much.
    If you can avoid it, try not to fly in Loiter too much.  I fly in Loiter a lot because I need to, but the Iris+ is constantly making little adjustments to keep itself in place, and that can result in shaky footage if you are not careful - especially on windy days (when I need Loiter most)

Thats it for me.  There is a lot more to go over, but I have to run to work.  As I said above,  if I get enough feedback, I will put together a summary for other new users like myself.  Just keeps things specific to the Iris or Iris+ if you can. 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Our differences are:

1. I use a FU G3 2 axis gimbal and before I had a Walkera Q-2D, both mounted on the Tarrot adapter 3DR provides for gimbals. On both had the same problems. So DYS gives me litle hope. The gimbal looks stiff anyway

2. My propellers are brand new, and has the same problem from day one. These are the second pairs that I had in stock an no cure. If you can provide a link with the props you use, I would be gratefull!

3. Also a picture with the mod you made to the tube, that maybe could also help to understand

Other than these we use the same stuff and settings. I have calibrated several times ESC, IMU, Compass, with no succes. 

Only POS_Hold instead of Loiter helped so far. But AUTO remains an issue.

I believe Carbon props could make a difference, but maybe I will have to autotune. I changed props to a perfectly tuned APM QAV250 I have and it was almost uncontrollable. I autotrimed and autotuned and flew ok again

• Can you tell me a bit more about your QAV250? I'm dying to build one just like that for high-speed FPV.

• Well, the tube was just a T-shaped tube with the ND filter on the wide end.  I just cut off the base of the T to shorten the tube.

Props are these with APC .3inch OD/ 6mm ID centering rings:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWI33NE?psc=1&redirect=true...

As for your 2-axis gimbal, that is a bit of a problem.  You need the third axis to deal with yaw vibration and adjustment.  That might be why I see somewhat better results.  Remember, having a third axis allows the copter to pivot left and right to make course adjustments without vibrating the gimbal.  That's why I bought the DYS instead of a Tarot of Walkera 2D.

I wouldn't autotune.  That will set the PIDs at close to max values. 

All of this reminds me - I did use the settings in APM (by loading the configuration) for an Iris with Tarot Gimbal.  I think it reduced the PID values slightly.

• Results after searching a lot in the forum and testing.

As I said I experienced vibrations only in Loiter mode and Auto. Alt Hold is almost perfect. So I adopted the advise in another post in this forum and I replaced Loiter with Position Hold witch is available after 3.2 firmware. Vibrations stoped and the image is like in Alt Hold. Also flying behavior is more like Alt Hold plus it stays in its posistion when you release sticks.

Next two steps are to check again Auto mode by increasing Nav_Radius and adding my ND2 filter as Heliotrope advised to eliminate the remaining jello. I have a cheap one from Banggood I hope it works.

• I think any ND filter will be just fine.  I had to saw part of the tube off of mine to fit it onto the GoPro with the tarot-style mount.

I should add that I am flying in Loiter mode with no vibrations and jello, and with the stock settings on the Iris+.

Configuration:

Iris+

10-3.8 balanced carbon fiber props.  Similar shape to the stock ones.

DYS 3-Axis Smart Gimbal, running 2.47.

Stock Battery

FPV TX

Loiter flight mode

Stock Pixhawk settings.

• Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, and to let everyone know that it IS doable.   As of today (finally!) I got my Iris+ with DYS gimbal to generate absolutely flawless, vibration and jello free footage.  It is stable on all axes.  

Here are some tips that I took from this thread and my experience with an Inspire 1.

1. Don't mess around with the gimbal settings for Alexmos.  Reset it, and follow the procedure in the manual for the Basecam.  A tip:  run the power on the gimbal motors very high - don't be afraid if they get warm.  Otherwise, use the minimum PID values you can get away with.
    2. Calibrate your quad and the IMU on the gimbal via the instructions in the manual.  
    3. Stiffen up the DYS mount.  I used earplugs against the standoffs, not inside the dampers.  I may have made it too stiff, and I'm planning on experimenting with making it looser.  More on that later. 
    4. Balance your props, and use a minimum 10 inch prop (no less than 3.8 inch twist).  I'm using carbon props from amazon, about 4.50 a prop.  Balance, balance, balance. 
    5. When you get the PID right and the dampening right, in loiter mode in bright sunlight the gimbal should be stable but with jello.  This is when you add a 3-stop ND filter to your go pro.  Absolutely no trace of jello with the filter in place, and no changes other than gimbal addition.  I did not need to adjust the PIDs for the filter.  

Anyway, thanks for all the tips.  I'll post footage soon, but I'm viewing it on a Retina Macbook with footage taken at 2.7K resolution.  No vibration, no jello.  And it only took 20 test flights! 

• I also experiance severe vibrations but only in LOITER and AUTO modes and as long as it moves. When it hovers to a position the image is crystal clear. In Alt Hold the image is almost perfect and there are almost no vibrations at all. In some occasions a little bit of jello only. 

I was told by the local dealer to reduce Loiter speed, have strong GPS signal and make Nav Radius bigger but without succes.

Here is a video, the first part in LOITER and in the second part the same route in Alt Hold, no jello a little shaky sometimes, there was a liitle bit of wind then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAa8rb4ESaA

I have the same problem since day one

Does anybody has cure to the problem?

• I've been intimidated by my Iris+ so it's been sitting in the box while I practice on a cheap quad.

Been reading all this good research in the meantime, trying to soak in as much as I can.

Follow up on the gimbals....

Are you still happy with the DYS one?   I've been leaning towards the tuned version too.  Did you have to adjust the tune for the external GoPro filter?

This reply was deleted.