Has anyone considered or tried 11 inch props on the Iris?  What about 3 blade or 4 blade props?

Views: 9956

Replies to This Discussion

Oh

1 hour after I posted my Legs arrived from http://www.dronehoners.com/

Took about 1 week delivery. They are very light!!!! Seem to be a clear perspex material.Look forward to testing them!

-P

Mark,

you are definitely not alone with your frustration. I've voiced my discontent with IRIS as a RTF model many times and I have not changed that opinion: With all the issues (some of them listed here: http://diydrones.com/group/iris/forum/topics/is-there-an-updated-li... and the list still growing) IRIS is definitely not a RTF model for beginners or consumers that want to use if for filming or taking pictures.

I've been very close to trashing or selling my IRIS. Especially after 3DR has been less than professional dealing with complaints and feedback about these issues (That's one reason why I'm not going back to ardupilot.com. Also that's the place where they would ban you for being honest.)

I'm pretty much done with IRIS as for the use case that I initially bought it for: FPV + Filming/Picture taking with a Gimbal. Instead I use it as learning device in two regards:

- I already learned a lot about really poor design of a quad and what not to do. With that I'm confident that I can either build myself a better quad (which I still don't want to do) or buy one that is actually RTF, without getting cheated into a piece of junk again.

- Also I use it to practice flying, ranging from Stabilize mode to Auto mode. I will only take IRIS to an open space like a Baseball field, where I can practice. If I crash her, that's not ideal, but in the end it's just IRIS - a piece of junk to begin with. Better crash that one and learn from it, than a real quad.

Try to harvest the good pieces out of IRIS, which is probably the Pixhawk, GPS module, Telemetry module, RC module, and Gimbal. ESC, motors, and everything else appears to be garbage. Then build a real quad with it.

My 2c 

Chris 

Hi Mark,

Great idea, after what you've been through, building your own is the next logical step.

I never recommend it as a first step, but there isn't any reason you cant put together a really good one.

I think the Iris was well intentioned and has some nifty design features, unfortunately it also has a few significant design flaws and a some inadequate components.

A few recommendations:

You want to haul a GoPro Camera and a Brushless Gimbal and you want at least 10 minutes flight time.

So that defines the envelope you want to work in.

From what youve said you'd also like something reliable and as trouble free as possible, but with lots of capability.

While the Pixhawk isn't trouble free it is still the best thing you can currently buy so keep that.

The smallest thing you can get that will actually work the way you want it to be would be the Hoverthings FLIP FPV Pro frame, a Dead Cat and it is a good deal (and there is a trick).

http://www.hoverthings.com/frame-sets/flipfpvproblackorange.html

Normally it will only take a maximum of 10" props, but they now have listed availability of oversize arms that will take up to 13" props.

http://www.hoverthings.com/parts/flipfpv/fliparmblack-397.html

My freind Oliver is flying one of these with a Pixhawk, brushless gimbal and GoPro with 10" props and it is fantastic, he gets about 10 minutes flight time.

The very low profile of a dead cat means that even in 15 mph gusts, it hardly moves at all and the GoPro on a cheap brushless gimbal is rock steady.

If you upgraded to 13" props (he will when Hoverthings opens again after vacation too) you probably have about the ideal GoPro/Gimbal platform.

This is a better format than X because it is so flat and so unresponsive to wind.

I would also suggest the KDE 2814XF 515kv brushless motors as these are probably the most efficient 4 cell motors you can currently buy in this size class for 13" props.

http://www.kdedirect.com/KDE2814XF515.html

They are also extremely well made and have a stack of 3 ball bearings instead of 2 like everybody else.

These are what I am using on my custom and I think they are the best available at this size period.

Put some decent ESCs and a 5000mah (or bigger) 4 cell battery on that And you should be able to get an easy 12 to 15 minutes out of it and it will fly like a Sports Car and hover like a tripod mounted on the ground.

Put a 7000-8000mah MaxAmp 4 cell battery on it and you should be able easily exceed 15 minutes and maybe up to 20 minutes.

You should be able to keep the whole copter / battery / camera / gimbal to below 5 pounds and if so it will hover at less than 50% throttle with 13" props and the listed KDE motors and your g/w efficiency will be better than 15 which will give you excellent flight times.

Take a look at my quadcoptersarefun website to check out Oliver's Flip FPV Pro build:

http://quadcoptersarefun.com/2FlipsBuild.html#FlipFPVProBuild 

If you want to build conventional X frame, the Tarot F650 Quadcopter frame is a CF tube frame that is quite popular and relatively inexpensive.

http://www.helipal.com/tarot-fy650-quadricopter-frame-set.html

It will get pushed around in the wind more though and will not have quite the snappy performance of the Flip FPV Pro.

A lot of people are flying the FLIP frame and the similar but more expensive TBS Discovery Pro (I think the Flip is better because of those nearly indestructible CNC milled fiberglass arms.

I have crashed my Flip sport into everything you can think of including trying to cut down an 80' black pine tree with it (unsuccessfully) and have succeeded in breaking only a few props.

Best of luck,

Gary

Hi Christian.

Like you mention Im using Iris as a test for testing Mission planner and hardware (radio etc) so Im reasonably happy.

I had bought a larger octo as my first and quickly realsie d I had bitten of mroe than I could Chew.

Iris was a good way tio learn and transfer the knowledge across.

Thinking later to use it as a reapeating unit in the air esp with follow me being developed. Could make nice link between an exploring UAV and controller if the signal is occluded.

-P

I guess a compact still shot camera could be mounted for mapping? Looks like you could take the gimbal off and make a mount for the front?

They do hit each other, I verified it.

I had (still have) the "Developer Edition" Iris and I occasionally got free props after various flight controller-related crashes while it was in heavy development. Once, they sent me a set of 11" props by mistake. Installing them, I knew they wouldn't last long because they make contact when running, but I tried them for a short time anyway. They worked great (besides the "hitting each other" part obviously). The Iris hovered easily at 30% throttle and had noticeably more lift. 

the new iris plus that was just released today has 11 props on it. cant believe you didn't end up getting into a bad crash with them props hitting each other. You got lucky.

No, I didn't get lucky, I stayed close to the ground and only flew for a few minutes. I also landed very often and checked the props' condition.

Iris plus... I am so there.

Great suggestion. I bout a 3s venom 4000 3s about 2 months ago. Excellent battery in cell balance, bench voltage loss, gives a full 4000. Don't know how long it will last but it's the best I've had so far.

mp

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service