Since it is imperative when planning auto missions to know your flight times I have been testing with stabilize/loiter hovers and measuring air time while I familiarize myself with the Arducopter platform.

I now have 17 full flights with respect to battery failsafe at 10.5 volts. I bought 3 batteries with the IRIS.

On these batteries the best hover time I can get is 10.5 to 11 minutes.

Yesterday I bought a more expensive Thunder Power RC G6 Pro Performance 3850mah 45C battery and a HI-Tech X1 MF balance charger. On the first flight with that battery I got 13 minutes hover/loiter. I hope to try it again today. Maybe it will get better after a couple of cycles. I only charged it with 1.9 amps for the first charge.

BTW - The $74 I spent on the charger was worth it. It charges the IRIS 3500 packs in an hour at 2 amps(well below 1C). The stock charger was taking 2.5 hours. it also displays the individual cell voltages and has a storage charge feature.

All battery tests were done with no payload. No legs, no camera, just like it comes out of the box.

I am curious to know what others are getting. The IRIS was advertised 10 to 15 minutes flight time. Assuming that it means 15 minutes with no payload and 10 minutes with legs and gimbal I would obviously like to be at 15 minutes with no payload. Doesn't seem possible as delivered.

Thanx,

mp

Views: 4174

Replies to This Discussion

Thank for sharing your test data and setup information!

To hit 15-20 minutes, I'm wondering if the size of the battery will exceed the existing interior cavity of the Iris.  I'm still searching for more exotic power sources that fit inside.  If that fails I might look at relocating the rear LEDs and extending the front with a new shell.

The battery I bought is about 2.7 mm thicker than the stock battery and it fits. Same width and length. It might get to 15 minutes after few cycles but we will see. I might try it today but there are 20 mph winds blowing which kinda degrades the test quality.

BTW - ambient temps were in the 70's F during testing.

mp

i cant seem to break 10 mins with either of my 2 batteries i bought from 3dr.  i do have a pretty constant breeze and in loiter i get around 9 mins to 10.7V, and 8 mins with a gopro attached to the front.  I raised my voltage cutoff to 10.7 because i found the stock batteries seem to take a nose dive after 10.5 so i gave myself a little more time to get the iris to the ground before gravity takes over. 

I raised my voltage too. I noticed the other day the same as you. They drop right now. no time to get home.

I know I started this thread and there hasn't been much activity but there is a another thread where very detailed discussions are going on regarding IRIS flight times. Lots of good input and experiments with other batteries. I have posted flight logs with flight time and we are doing bench tests to determine flight times that are better than the stock batts. I have plenty more input in there.

http://diydrones.com/group/iris/forum/topics/alternative-props-for-...

There is a guy in the other thread I posted above that got 15 minutes with a GoPro (no gimbal) using a Zippy 5000mah 3s battery. He said it fits in the Iris and I looked on Hobbyking and saw the battery for less than $30 bucks. I have a $90 Thunderpro 3850mah 3S 45C that I am getting 13 minutes from with no payload

Getting 10 minutes from the stock batteries. I too have raised the batt failsafe to 10.7 since if you have any distance to go to get home you risk over discharging the battery.

mp

4S 3000mAh 20C from Zippy is a bit tight fit, but giving me around 12-14 mins throttle time, depending of how aggressive I fly.

Check out this thread. Another guy that got 16 minutes and he shows the flash log to prove it.

link

Is that with or with out gimbal and gopro. I am assuming with out.

No gimbal, but with a GoPro 3+.

Have you found the link to this 5000mah battery?  cant go wrong for that price.

I posted this else ware, but felt it should also be here as I do have the Gimbal and ran a number of tests.    When I bought my  Iris I figured I could do a number of things because of the UAV abilities.  but what can you do in 5 or 6 minutes?   In order to do more I need to remove the Legs, Gimbal and Gopro.   Now I am back to what my Phantom 1 can do minus us the UAV flights.   

Let me say I think everyone at 3dRobotics has been wonderful,  my only letdown is this flight time.  I would have been happy to pay $100 more if they could have Truly developed it to fly as advertised.  My 5 1/2 minute  flight was done in calm air, temp 65.  I flew at a snails pace at around 100ft.  I may have been able to stretch the time to just over 6 but I can tell you I would not make 7 

I think to save face and show past customers and future customers they truly care, they should find a distributor that has or can manufacture a battery that will give the extra minutes.  Even if they don't want to give them away for free, a reduced price for each battery the customer has already purchased would show they care. 

Then again I was always a common sense person and I find that many people don't see my logic,   but I know if they did this the word would spread and the business they get would far exceed the investment.   Because the wrong word  can spread like here and you will loose many many potential customers.   I spent $1200 for my iris and gimbal,  telemetry and an extra battery.   I may have been better off forgetting the UAV and gone with the Phantom Vision.  At least it would be useable for FPV and Good Video with wonderful flight times!

I guess we will see what happens and if anyone really cares!

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service