I have already submitted all my information to the IRIS Hardware support forum, so I thought I'd share this video with my fellow IRIS owners.  I had heard about the IRIS props just stopping but I thought I was immune since I have been having so many good flights.  As you will see from the video, the IRIS went down from a pretty good height.  Luckily into grass.  The Tarot Gimbal does a good job of keeping the camera still even during the fall.

Looks like I'm out a Tarot Gimbal mount, one arm and 4 props because it cratered.  The gimbal PCB and motors are all still good.  Even the GoPro survived as you will see.

Now I have to figure out how to get my new parts.

Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/lL8Q3vqx0WI

Views: 3054

Replies to This Discussion

@Eric, 

I bought a second battery with my Iris from 3DR, I had the same issue. I ended up having to contact support and send the defective battery that was running at 7.5v back to them. I am waiting on a replacement now, I would suggest contacting support regarding this issue and get started on testing the Voltage on the battery as they will ask you for it. Hope you get it squared away.

Thats good LiPo advice, a popular good charger to get is the B6AC iMAX which is the big brother of the e4 that comes with the Iris. SKYRC make good chargers so the one that comes with the Iris should do the job fine but its very basic and you can't see the individual cell voltages.

Ken,

do like I did, get a $2 battery monitor/alarm and disable the battery failsafe on IRIS.. These little external devices work perfectly, you will have enough juice to land as soon as you hear the low battery alarm.

I personally think failsafe doesn't work properly, after loosing my APM2.6 (radio signal out of range failsafe was active) and experiencing intermittent low battery failsafe performance on my IRIS, I disabled it completely and have been using the external monitor/alarm on the IRIS and have a piece of mind.

I also experienced that Mission Planner/ IRIS does NOT calculate battery consumption properly - for example after the external battery alarm goes off, Mission planner still displayes around ~20-25% juice left, so don't rely on that either (yes my fully charged battery size and reserve limits are set properly on MP)

Well when it comes to customer service, I called them once and told them I was disappointed with IRIS and wanted to return it. He said "did you read the fine print at the bottom of our web site"

I kept the IRIS, upgraded the FW to RC5, it made a difference.

I also find it very difficult to fasten the props w/o being able to hold the motor body. I have been using a pliers to grab the bottom of the prop shaft - so IRIS fliers make sure your props are fastened properly.

Well sorry for venting here but I hope these will help you and many other IRIS fliers out there.

Thanks Murat.  The battery alarm seems like a good idea.  I plan to use the stock charge and use this device to check balance across the cells.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/lipo-voltage-checker-and-balan...

-Joe

Watch out for the male XT60 connector pins making not a good contact with the female battery connector.

It just happened to me this morning as I was stuffing the cables and trying to shut the battery door, IRIS got a reset multiple times. I starting playing with the cable to find out pins on the male XT60 somehow crushed causing the resets. Could this be your problem?? Battery was a Turnigy 4S 2650mAh 20C.

Used a hex screw driver to expand the pins, see pict.

As a side note, I also tried a Zippy 4S 3000mAh 20C battery, its a bit tight fit, but its giving me about 12-13 mins throttle time depending how aggressive I fly. Just be careful stuffing the extra long battery cable and don't over heat the battery, otherwise it will be difficult to take it out ;-)

Hi Oliver,

You've done a great recap of notions that were covered during a drone piloting course I am taking. If you have no objections, I'll translate in French and adapt parts of your post for the blog I am writing for my classmates : http://blog.exodrone.com. I'll credit you as the source -

Best

Fred

Ken,

Driodplanner cab be configure to verbally announce your battery voltage every minutes, 30 seconds, 20 seconds etc. After a while you will get used to the discharge rate. In that crash flight I bet you would have noticed the the battery voltage was dropping at an abnormal level. The key is :

Start with a full battery

Always know your voltage and have the bird on the ground before the failsafe is reached. Failsafes are very last resort. They should not be routinely depended on.

mp

mp

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service