Ken McNamara sent a message inquiring about what GPS to use with your new Pixhawk 2.1: I believe this is a great subject for a new discussion. Right now, I believe there is only the "HERE" GPS that is available as a "plug-and-play" solution for the PH2.1 because of the DF-17 plugs; but I think any U-Blox module will work if you can plug it in or solder your own pigtails. From experience, the Ublox Neo M8N works really good in 'less than perfect' conditions: It got a decent lock INDOORS and acquiring a 'warm fix' took only a few seconds. Here is the module I am talking about:

https://www.banggood.com/Ublox-NEO-M8N-Flight-Controller-GPS-with-Protective-Shell-for-PIX-PX4-Pixhawk-p-1005394.html
3691347335?profile=original

The 'HERE' modules are awesome but quite big; also they include LED indicators and an arm button.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That build looks good, mine is almost done but I've been working at a new job that's quite involving so I put my hobbies aside. When I come here and see these beautiful projects, I miss my own...

Here's my girl waiting on the bench for some attention, lost in the clutter ;(      Notice the HERE GPS embedded in the foamboard
    3702415233?profile=original

• 3702415600?profile=originalPicture of the Here GPS Module installed.

3702415490?profile=originalPicture showing GPS Connected to the Pixhawk 2.1 Installed in the Payload bay.

Richard McCarraher said:

I have the "Here" one on my 2.1. I am very impressed with it. I have it on the top of the plane, slightly recessed into the epo.

I gets a lock very quickly, also have other ones (Ublox M8N based). Definately better than the "7's" 

Discuss choice and application of GPS's to use with the new PH2.1
    Ken McNamara sent a message inquiring about what GPS to use with your new Pixhawk 2.1: I believe this is a great subject for a new discussion. Right…
  • I have the "Here" one on my 2.1. I am very impressed with it. I have it on the top of the plane, slightly recessed into the epo.

I gets a lock very quickly, also have other ones (Ublox M8N based). Definately better than the "7's" 

• Simon L. said:

So did this suit your needs?

-----

Simon - 

I've finished building and configuring - and this module worked perfectly (so far).

First mistake I made was trying to put DF-17 plugs on - (see my other post) - bad idea.

Best solution was yours, splice the GPS module into the GPS connector supplied with the Pixhawk 2.1

Module gets GPS indoors.

First flight was yesterday - still have some configuration issues, but nothing related to GPS.

Thanks for the original answer!

KenMc

• yah, same here, been super busy in the last months.

• Haven't finished this yet.  I have the GPS module from bang good - but I have to put a new connector to wire it to the PixHawk2.  It's been a really busy summer for a number of reasons - but I'm close to getting around to this.

• So did this suit your needs?

Ken McNamara said:

That's a great suggestion.  At $20 I'm going to order one.  Looks like it takes a while to get here - maybe I'll be ready to work out plugging it in by then.

• That's a great suggestion.  At $20 I'm going to order one.  Looks like it takes a while to get here - maybe I'll be ready to work out plugging it in by then.

This reply was deleted.