Specifications for the motors

Hey All,

Just picked up a new PD for $99 plus shipping (NIB). Even if crap, I already ordered a Hobby King Trifecta  Frame in case. My question is, what are the specs for the motors? The Trifecta calls for 2206-2150Kv motors. Is the PD the same?

Thanks - Mike

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My Trifecta runs a 1400mAh 3S 65C Multistar Lipo, Mini APM and SunnySky 2207S 2100kv motors and 6-inch props.  It is lean, agile and acrobatic (even with an action camera attached).

The Pocket Drone User Guide (produced by DeltaBlast) lists these as the equivalent motors (2208-1100kv) on the pocket drone and this as the battery.  From memory i think that the props on the PD at 9-inches.  The PD (when it can be made to fly right) is slow, precarious and massively overweight (especially with a camera attached).

Note the big difference in kv between the different motors, the significant difference in the disc area between 6-inch and 9-inch props and the big different in size (and weight) between the two batteries.

• Thanks for that. 

Maybe I should have also posted what my intended use for this is;

I am a Treasure Hunter. Part of that involves climbing around desert mountain ranges looking for man made markers cut into the host rock on cliff faces and high up on mountains. Close inspection of the markings (Petroglyphs and Pictographs) is needed to see if they are Native American, Spanish, Mexican, or Jesuit. For many years, this required gearing up and either rock climbing (from below) or rappelling (from above). I see how magnificent many of some friend's drone videos (TV Production Guy), and I got the idea of a smaller (foldable) drone that could be carried in a backpack into the mountains, and deployed when needed.

I have to strike a fine balance between size, weight, flight time, stability, quality, and flyability.It has to be small and light enough to not take up my entire backpack, and still leave room and weight for other gear. Wind in the mountains can be pretty strong and from ANY direction. I have played with smaller drones (MJX X901, X800, X600, Dromida Kodo, and a couple of other smaller ones. Problem with ALL of them is that they are too light, and get trashed by the wind.

So........I don't really care about aerobatics that much. Nice to have something fun to play with, but not necessary. I need weight and power to fly in the wind. My friend has DJI Phantom and Inspire. They are both phenomenal drones, but too big and heavy for me to drag into the mountains. 

Thanks - Mike

• That should actually read:

".......is needed to see if they are Native American, Spanish, Mexican, Jesuit, or NATURAL......"

Mike

• Based on your stated application I can assure you that the Pocket Drone itself is utterly useless for such a thing.  The Trifecta is a great flyer, and it folds up nice and small (you can place it in a short length of pipe for easy transport), but it is not at all suitable for your purposes either.  Neither frame is large enough to support a camera capable of being any real use to you as a Treasure Hunter who wishes to find and inspecting markings as you describe.

What distances are we talking? How long do you wish to be flying for? Do you have a budget in mind? What are your existing flying skills like?

• Last question first. Still pretty new at flying. I started with a little MJX X901 (Hex). Stepped up to an MJX X600 (Hex) when I got better. I also had a Dromida Kodo that was great, but no FPV and high winds beat it up badly. I had always intended to build one DIY for what I want (I have been working with electronic communications equipment since the eighties). When I saw the Pocket Drone, and what equipment it had, and I could snatch it NIB for $99, I jumped on it. Worst case, transplant electronics. Flying skills are okay, but those skills are with smaller (and much lighter) toy drones.

Here is how it works: Say, I am hiking in the Superstition Mountains (outside Phoenix). I see something that looks man made a couple of hundred feet up the side of a cliff. I pull out the drone a XMitter, set the drone on a rock, pair the video, then fly it up the cliff. Get some shots from as close to the cliff as I can get without too much wind shear. Fly it back down, fold it up, put it away, and continue. Nothing too strenuous or complicated. 

Previous to the "drone plan", I had to do it like they did 300 years ago: either climb above the marking and rappel down, or find a way to climb up (and I am no petite flower 6'4" 260 lbs). The old way could have me spending half a day just investigating one marker or monument. With the proper drone (and skill), I can do it in ten minutes. Sometimes I can just use heavy telephoto lenses or a smaller telescope on a camera, but often they are at odd angles or partially hidden by a boulder or cliff ledge. Also, I don't like dragging a bunch of camera equipment around the desert and mountains. 

I have bought and played with a few different cameras. I have the C4005, SJ4000, and Geekpro 2.0. The video and stills from the GEEKPRO are great. My crappy MJX X600 Hex can lift that.

Budget is flexible since I like to DIY as much as I can. The more I build, the easier it is to fix when it inevitably burns in. HAHAHA

Thanks Again - Mike

This reply was deleted.