How low are you guys draining your battery per flight?

I have been testing it slowly, 20%...8% etc...

What I am wondering is if this smart drone will leave enough juice to return home based on how far away it is from that location?

I have been hitting the 20 min mark when I land below 10%

Next flight I will hover 1-2 feet off the ground above home and see how low will it go.

Views: 3228

Replies to This Discussion

RPM,

Christian did a great write-up on the exact this topic for the IRIS+ a few months ago. He goes over the various situations of the FS's. Give it a read, most of the info can be applied to SOLO as well.

https://www.cloud-surfer.net/2014/10/06/battery-failsafe-on-iris/

Todd

I would be interested to know if it's possible to replace the actual battery inside the hard case of the smart battery??  I would also like to know if the smart battery renders itself un-flyable after a certain number of charge cycles and or notices a large drop in capacity? If so can this be re-set to allow a new lipo to be installed. Obviously what I'm getting at is they are very expensive so it would great if those able and willing have the option to replace the lipo itself. DJI goes out of it's way to make sure this can't happen for $$ reasons only. Hope 3dr doesn't. Sorry hope I'm not OT too much on your thread RPM. 

Thanks, I will check it out!

Not at all Richard, I am sure we are not the only ones wondering these things. They are $199 here and looks like I need to buy 3 more yet to make a decent attempt at mapping large areas.

I would be happy if there was a balance port adapter so I could use a better charger. Right now the packs take 2 hours to charge.

Does anyone know what the type of connector is? Not sure if it is proprietary or standard.

To me this is a deal breaker. If I can't install my own batteries and use my own charger I won't be buying a solo no way am I paying $400-$600 a year on batteries. My homeowners insurance is about that!! Would I get the same level of coverage from a smart battery? Lol nope.

re-Does anyone know what the type of connector is? Not sure if it is proprietary or standard.

I think it has slots or something that connects as it slides in place so yea proprietary. I can understand that it makes it easier to change and uses  less space.... I could deal with that much.  

I thought about that, and it almost prevented me from keeping my solo, but I want a good video copter that fits easily in a case, gets about 15+ minutes flying with the video gear and automates the process. It is for specific events or places I know will not require long flights (already have 30-40 minute copters), will easily fit in a case to put in the back seat or trunk without the props, gps and antennae getting in the way. Plus, I don't have to spend time tuning the darn thing; basically a turnkey solution to something I've not done much with, that being using a camera; only have had a FPV. I spent the past 2 years becoming a good flyer and learning AC, building MR's and such, now I figured it's time to get into video.

I don't mind paying extra money for something that does what I want, and it is good quality. Hopefully the batteries aren't from HK :) :)

I bought it with the idea that if I had problems it would get brought back to Best Buy. Well, I haven't had the problems reported from the initial release, it locks on GPS well and is very easy to fly. It also handles wind well enough.

Once 3DR assured me running Tower/MP on Solo would not void the warranty, and changing parameters is allowed as long as they aren't found to be the cause of a crash or flyaway, I decided to keep it.

I just received a Vertigo 27x zoom camera http://vertigofpv.com/ to put on the Spy 750. That should be interesting.  Now to figure out how to mount it :)  It has the same mounting hole pattern as a Tarot gimbal. Anyone out there familiar with a Sky Hero Spy know where to get a mount that would work for the Vertigo?

That is an expensive battery to be be taking down to 10% and under. Surely you can test this without pushing your battery so hard.
I could live with the smart batteries. I think that is the way all UAVs will go and it should come with real benefits that justify paying $$ to 3DR for probably fairly so so lipos. The Solo looks very promising. I still think it is bit of a beta device. Let's see how the gimbal behaves. I really do not understand why the marketing got so far ahead of the engineering. Launching without a gimbal is odd. I also have concerns about wifi control and its ability to deal with noisy environments.

When all of that has been proved or improved and fixed I will happily buy one. I have often thought of just breaking down and buying a Phantom 3. I love my fleet of DIY arducopters. They are just so much work to do aerial videography with. Something that packs into a case and is a proven system would make life easier.

It will automatically RTH at 5%

Hey everyone, new to the site!  Hope to spend some time soon and really get into everything.

I have a question regarding the voltage of the Solo batteries:  How is everyone tracking their voltage?  For my Dromida Ominus, I just used one of the little lipo 1-8s testers.  But those obviously don't work with Solo.  Their customer support solution was to look at the LEDs, but didn't offer any conversion to voltage.  Any help here would be appreciated.  I'm new to this, so play nice!

DMM = digital multi-meter

Get yourself one they are used often in this business. I don't trust offset voltage readings or cheap sensors but I can always trust the multi.
Welcome to DIY!

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service