Joystick Control with DJI M600

I am attempting to use a joystick to control a DJI M600 with UgCS. However when I connect the M600 to UgCS via the UgCS for DJI android app no joystick control mode is available. Is joystick control for the DJI M600 not yet supported? Is this feature only available in commercial versions of UgCS?

Thanks,

Rowan

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Rowan, I've been reading the UgCS for DJI 2.13 beta manual. In Section 2.7, item 12 says UgCS Desktop "Control Vehicle with a joystick"

I checked with their support and got a reply to say "The work with joystick in UgCS will be supported only in 2.13 version of UgCS. It will be for A3 and N3. This function will be released only for one model of Yuneec H520."

It sounds like joystick support is either already in the beta, or will be there with the full release. This means it will also work with our Wing.

• Sorry Rowan, I wasn't aware that DJI had dropped the joystick functionality. Hopefully UgCS will have something that works soon.

One option, that should work with either the Wing, or a standard joystick is a USB to PPM converter. I've not tried this myself so I can't speak from experience on this. That said, I'm keen to find a solution so will update you if we manage to get anywhere.

Cheers,

Sam

• Hi Sam,

Unfortunately the limitation of using UgCS is that it does not currently support joystick control for DJI drones. I have also contacted DJI for an update on their PC Ground Station 2.0 for the M600.

Cheers,

Rowan  

Sam Worthington said:

Hi Rowan,

As long as you can fly the M600 through a PC telemetry/datalink, then it should work fine. However, we've not had that much experience with DJI systems ourselves. Our first test flight used a DJI flight controller but our customers have tended to operate a Pixhawk based system.

UgCS is probably a good option for the ground station software. I've just opened the PC version and there is a profile already on there for the Matrice 600. There's also a few discussions on this forum about it. (You used to be able to use the DJI PC Ground Station and configure the Wing just like you would do with a standard joystick. However, DJI have discontinued it. Apparently they are working on replacement software)

You can set the Wing up using the joystick interface within UgCS and it looks like the DJI Datalink Pro should be fine for the telemetry, but I can't be sure if it supports manual piloting. Can anyone else on here help answer that?

I'll keep digging and see if I can find some definite answers.

Sam

• Hi Rowan,

As long as you can fly the M600 through a PC telemetry/datalink, then it should work fine. However, we've not had that much experience with DJI systems ourselves. Our first test flight used a DJI flight controller but our customers have tended to operate a Pixhawk based system.

UgCS is probably a good option for the ground station software. I've just opened the PC version and there is a profile already on there for the Matrice 600. There's also a few discussions on this forum about it. (You used to be able to use the DJI PC Ground Station and configure the Wing just like you would do with a standard joystick. However, DJI have discontinued it. Apparently they are working on replacement software)

You can set the Wing up using the joystick interface within UgCS and it looks like the DJI Datalink Pro should be fine for the telemetry, but I can't be sure if it supports manual piloting. Can anyone else on here help answer that?

I'll keep digging and see if I can find some definite answers.

Sam

• Hi Sam,

Thanks, the Wing controller does look ideal for our use case. Is the DJI M600 supported for the Wing GCS?

Rowan

• Rowan, I was reading this this thread and it occurred to me that our Wing Control Device might be of particular interest to your researcher. Let me know if I can help.
    Sam
  • Rowan,
    thank you for the clarification.

As mentioned before - joystick support for DJI drones is planned to be implemented in UgCS in approximately 2-5 months.

We announce upgrades of UgCS on our webpage www.ugcs.com, on Facebook: fb.com/SPHEngineering/ or in our DIYdrones group: http://diydrones.com/group/ugcs.

We wish you success with the research projects.

Best regards, Sergey Zuev

• Hi Sergey,

I am interested in the ability to fly the drone using a joystick as is possible with the emulated quadcopter in UgCS. The use case is we have a researcher in our lab who only has use of one hand who would like the ability to fly with a joystick.

Cheers,

Rowan

• Thank you for the topic.

Unfortunately, for DJI drones, it is not yet supported. Because in general, you can control camera using RC. By the end of the year, we are going to enhance our Enterprise version. It will allow remote operators to control drone's camera from the command center using a joystick.

Btw, what is your use case?

Best regards, Sergey Zuev

This reply was deleted.