X-UAV Build

Hi all,

I'm looking for an airframe that will ultimately be aimed at mapping/orthomosaic type projects and the Talon is one we are certainly interested in.

I know this has probably been asked 100 times, but does anyone have any information or could point me to links of existing threads that outline a good build and components that work well with the talon.

I'm in Australia so pretty sure there won't be much available here in country so will be looking abroad to build the kit.

Are the wing extensions well worth investing in? Probably looking at using something like a Sony A6000 camera and utilising my GEMS NDVI sensor.

Any help would be appreciated, if there are other forums or facebook pages or step by step guides on building I'd be interested.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks guys - just ordered the platform through X-UAV with wing extensions. Have a couple of Pixhawk2' ordered,m RFD 900's and a few odd's and sods and will get stuck inot the build hopefully in a few weeks once I have everything.

Thinking of running a Sony A6000 - thoughts on this camera for photogrammetry work

Wonderful platform, love mine (3)

• I'm in Adelaide and bought a Talon plus extensions direct from the maker in China. Turned out to be the cheapest solution at the time too. There's useful information here

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1977612-Talon-UAV-fr...

Good luck.

RC Groups
    RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums,…
  • Aaron,

Tech support is telling me its an 'start of a new year' error - ISP is behind on some updates.

Please reach me at alternate personal account   'doc_vogt@outlook.com'

Cheers,

Michael

ps - have have several Talons in house, a couple kits in stock.  The cost is dependent upon how complete/turn-key you would like the system.  Our pricing is very competitive as selling these is not our main income, 'services' are... so our margin is modest.  What we really offer is our build-method and the protection it provides.  It is unique, and part of why our aircraft have such long operational lifespans.        When you write, please tell me what your budget is and I can do a best job of sketching out a proper system for you.

M

• Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply and I tried to send an email to your email address you have listed on your signature block however it bounced for some reason.

If you could pass me your best email address I'll send you a reply but the short of it is I'm interested to see what you offer and pricing.

I just received an email from Banggood telling me the Talon airframe I ordered last night can't be shipped to Australia due to it's size so I need to find a new supplier, maybe directly to XUAV.

Also, thought on the Talon Max?

Dr. Michael Vogt said:

Aaron,

Our group is called North American Robotics. We have no fewer than 4 full sized talons in our fleet, and twice as many mini talons. Several have more than 400 logged and documented mission sorties accrued on them (400+ mission hours). We operate in the upper Midwest US, through the worst possible weather conditions from 105F in summer to -30F in winter in winds gusting to 55 mph. We were included in the very first vendors to get our talons for evaluation and to provide build options... so have been flying them all continuously since 2012ish. My background goes back even further to developing sensor payloads for the Lockheed Desert Hawk - the model for the Talon.

We have a patented approach to reinforce the talon body, wing, structure... and to protect the avionics and e-o payload from crashes surrounding it with a tailored fire resistant impact absorbing Bay.

Our approach works, as in 5 years we haven't lost or retired a single talon or mini, nor lost any sensors.

We also build in redundant components, and deliver in optional high visibility paint schemes... we provide comprehensive spare parts with each system, and specialize in multi-aircraft deliveries.

I'd like to talk to you about your needs, and schedule as we are just delivering several systems to the U S federal gov and could take on new work very soon.

If you plan to deploy a $6000 GEMS camera... our approach offers the most protection. Give me an email, and let's chat.

DocV

Dr. Michael Vogt
    North American Robotics
    Michael.vogt@NARobotics.US
  • Aaron,

Our group is called North American Robotics. We have no fewer than 4 full sized talons in our fleet, and twice as many mini talons. Several have more than 400 logged and documented mission sorties accrued on them (400+ mission hours). We operate in the upper Midwest US, through the worst possible weather conditions from 105F in summer to -30F in winter in winds gusting to 55 mph. We were included in the very first vendors to get our talons for evaluation and to provide build options... so have been flying them all continuously since 2012ish. My background goes back even further to developing sensor payloads for the Lockheed Desert Hawk - the model for the Talon.

We have a patented approach to reinforce the talon body, wing, structure... and to protect the avionics and e-o payload from crashes surrounding it with a tailored fire resistant impact absorbing Bay.

Our approach works, as in 5 years we haven't lost or retired a single talon or mini, nor lost any sensors.

We also build in redundant components, and deliver in optional high visibility paint schemes... we provide comprehensive spare parts with each system, and specialize in multi-aircraft deliveries.

I'd like to talk to you about your needs, and schedule as we are just delivering several systems to the U S federal gov and could take on new work very soon.

If you plan to deploy a $6000 GEMS camera... our approach offers the most protection. Give me an email, and let's chat.

DocV

Dr. Michael Vogt
    North American Robotics
    Michael.vogt@NARobotics.US
  • Hi, my X-UAV is without wing extensions, because large wing are prone to banks with the cross wind. On other hand, I use a Canon HS230 and two Lipo 5200 mah 3S and with this payload,the talon fly great at 50 Kms/hr. taking pics every 3 seconds at 125 mts of level flight.

Ortophoto Talon

Good luck and better flights,

Willo

This reply was deleted.