RQ-11 Build

Build of a Pro Jet RQ-11

  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
Comment by David Baldovin on March 1, 2013 at 7:56am

The tail is complete. Both servos are installed in the vertical stabilizer' and the horizontal stabilizer is held on with on with one 6-32 nylon screw; tape applied to the underside at the tail boom to keeps it square. The assembly can easily break down into two parts. For me this is mostly academic as I have plenty of transportation and storage space but I like the idea of being able to fit everything into a back pack.

Comment by David Baldovin on March 28, 2013 at 9:29am

The 3DR AMP 2.5+ arrived. I have downloaded the GCS and uploaded the firmware. New photographs are uploaded if the unboxing if anyone wants to see what you get. It looks pretty straight forward so far. I have to get (or crimp my own) 3 female to femal servo leads and install the electronics next.

Comment by David Baldovin on March 31, 2013 at 10:38am

The Raven is assembled ballanced and the APM is working in stabilization mode. The servo movment looks good and smooth. I will fly it this afternoon in manual mode to check the trim and ballance in flight. Then I will switch over to stabilize mode and see how she does. I am still getting aquainted with flight planner in Mission Planner.

Comment by David Baldovin on April 1, 2013 at 8:55am

High gusty winds prevented flights yesterday and this morning. I have planned a simple three WP flight plan. At each WP loiter for 2 min and undef at the 3rd WP. I am now confident with Mission planner/Flight Planner and the 3DR radio.Just waiting on the wind. After reading about airspeed sensors I will be adding that soon.

Comment by David Baldovin on April 2, 2013 at 8:54pm

Third flight started very well. It climbed out a bit erratic but easily gained altitude. After about 5 minutes of getting used to it with the additional weight from the APM and getting her trimmed I switched it to stabalize. In stabalize it went well and I could really see how it was limiting my inputs. Also when I let go it flew straight and level which was very cool. Then we switched over to auto. It went into loiter and circled. This was very reliable and went well. After about 10 minutes I put it back into manual mode and bought her in for landing. I am vacationing on a golf acourse...Everything looked fine and lined up but I was a bit wide and flew straight into a tree. The wing and horizontal stabalizer was destroyed but the fuselage was intact with minor damage. I will retire the airframe. Now I am looking for another one preferably a wing or one with alierons. BTW a camera is in the mail so soon I will be adding video to the airframe. So far so good....except my dumb thumb into a tree.

Comment by Joris Wils on September 21, 2013 at 8:48am

Hi, I am looking into buying one.   My son would like to put an iphone inside of it and use the iphone as the camera.  Are the insides wide enough to fit an iphone with protective case?

Comment by David Baldovin on October 9, 2013 at 8:45am
Sorry for the late response. Yes the iPhone will fit. The plane has a large space forward of the wing to add equipment. Mine fit four three cell 2250mAh lipos and all the electronics for RC and UAV. The plane was heavy and landed at light speed for such a fragile wing but flew for 90 mins.
Comment by Guy Compton on October 21, 2013 at 5:15pm

I may have missed somewhere but what all hardware did you use?

Comment by David Baldovin on October 23, 2013 at 8:45am
The motor was an flight power ten and an flight 40amp speed controller. The batteries were 4X 45C 2500mAh 3 cell lipos for a total of 10000 math. RC was the spectrum DX8 with an 8 CH spectrum receiver and the 1000 telemetry unit which I used to see real time voltage. That is how I had the nerve to run it down to fumes if you will. Let me know if you want any more details. This was a fun proof of concept build for me. Now I am working on getting better at using the APM 2.5 and venturining into video transmission.
Comment by Guy Compton on October 23, 2013 at 9:05am

Thanks, I'm building one out for a backup to a backup.  I like the look of it since it looks like the real one.

I'm looking at using on unused RVOSD, APM 2.5 with Telm, 8CH Futaba, 5.8TX.

I wasn't sure which motor would fit.

Thanks again

Comment

You need to be a member of DIY Drones to add comments!

Join DIY Drones

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service