has, er, hooked us up with a 10% discount at FPVFlying.com, for this and anything else they sell. Just use the discount code "diydrones". Awesome! Thanks Hooks!]
Thanks to Hooks for turning us on
to the new Skywalker foam UAV platform
. Mine just arrived and based on a quick inspection, I'm pretty sure this is the one for me! Everything about is totally optimized for a UAV, from the payload capacity to transportability. I'm blown away by how thoughtfully designed this one is.
It's got it all:
- The durability of foam with all the interior room of balsa
- Payload area right under the CG, so you don't have to worry about balance issues
- Hand launchable, but still can carry pounds of payload
- Breaks down easily for transport
- Ailerons and optional flaps
- Pusher, high-wing configuration, with servos outside to save room inside
- Super tough EPO material
- Easy to get to equipment with big bay doors on both sides
- External mounting spots on rear fuselage for wireless transmitters (keeps them away from other electronics)
At $144, I think it's very fairly priced. I think this is one of the best made foam ARFs that I've seen, right up there with the Multiplex line. Don't forget to order the power pack
at the same time.
Here's a shot of a prototype being flown by the creators:
Rather than give it a full review (I haven't flow it yet), I'll just give first impressions in pictures.