The ArduPilot Project
The ArduPilot project is a family of open source autopilots based on the Arduino open source computing platform. It consists of a choice of ArduPilot Mega (APM) electronics and a range of free software versions for different vehicles
APM 2.5 is a pro-quality IMU autopilot based on the Arduino Mega platform, which can turn any RC vehicle into a fully autonomous Unmanned Aerial (or Ground) Vehicle. Depending on which software you choose, it can fly fixed-wing aircraft, multicopters, helicopters, and control ground rovers and boats. It handles both autonomous stabilization and GPS navigation and allows fully scripted waypoint missions and camera control. It supports 8 RC channels, has four serial ports and features an all-in design.
You can buy APM 2.5 for $179 here
. Everything else you need for a complete autopilot (flight software and desktop utility software) is free!
- Free open source firmware supports planes, multicopters (quads, hex, oct, etc), helicopters and ground rovers!
- Simple setup process and firmware loading via a point-and-click utility. No programming required! (But if you do want to fiddle with the code, you can with the easiest embedded programming toolkit available: Arduino)
- Full mission scripting with point-and-click desktop utilities
- Can support hundreds of 3D waypoints
- Two-way telemetry and in-flight command using the powerful MAVLink protocol
- Choice of free Ground Stations, including the state-of-the-art Mission Planner which includes mission planning, in-air parameter setting, on-board video display, voice synthesis, and full datalogging with replay.
- Autonomous takeoff, landing and special action commands such as video and camera controls
- Supports full "hardware-in-the-loop" simulation with Xplane and Flight Gear
Hardware includes the following:
- 3-axis gyros
- 3-axis accelerometers
- 3-axis magnetometer
- Barometric pressure sensor for altitude
- 5 or 10Hz GPS module
- 4 Mb of onboard datalogging memory. Missions are automatically datalogged and can be exported to KML
- Built-in hardware failsafe processor, can return-to-launch on radio loss.
- (Optional) Airspeed sensor
- (Optional) Current sensor
- (Optional) 2-way telemetry