I just happened to have 40cc twin lying around, and my LHS just happened to get in some Drastik 50cc planes....So this is the end result...
Now that's a WING!
It really does not look like it's going to fit into the back of the car. LOL.
How does one transport something like that?
Well, not quite the end result, merely a "see if everything fits" !
The wing splits, but yes, I do have a Hyundai H1....
Always leaned towards a gasser, just sooo much more duration.
Actual build log to follow........
Bit of a delay, this laptop suddenly decided NOT to want to connect to the internet......
On unpacking, found the the body rather poorly glued.....In fact, just pulling on the sides caused it to split apart, no way this frame was going to withstand a gasser, or my landings.
Fortunately the LHS agreed with me and supplied some CA free of charge, and I proceeded to to beef it up...
Always believed that balsa soaks up vibration better than plywood......
Proceded with mounting all the hinges, proper mounting of the engine, throttle servo.
The landing gear is supposed to be braced with a wire, wasn't in the kit, so I used a length of 3mm stainless threaded rod.
Now waiting on some servos, but hope to run in the motor this coming weekend.
The bussiness end....After lots of head scrathing, this is where the ignition module went....
Decided to give the nose gear a miss, and set up as taildragger, since Sticks are pretty tame as taildraggers.
To set up as tricycle, meant running cables through the area I wanted to used for the APM/vibration isolation.
Some progress this weekend, tailfeathers control horns fitted, and some protectionfrom my landings......
Ah, this is the hanger !
As mentioned, QC on this kit is seriously lacking.
The horizontal stab is noticeably warped, I thought it was due to the covering, but alas, no amount of re-heating wants to straighten it.
Oh well, I suppose it can be trimmed out.
The screws supplied with the kit, to mount the aileron and flap horns, are too short.
Fortunately, the wood in those areas is thick, and reasonably hard, so I used long self tappers.
The horizontal stab attaches with 4 screws, so I suppose I can always rebuild it :-(
The supplied tail wheel is junk, I bought an (expensive) Du Bro one from my LHS.
All servos, control horns, linkages fitted, only batteries, switches and electronics to be mounted.
Obviously the first few flights without APM !
"Procured" this nice dual battery switch from Clowns Hobbies...
But nowhere to mount it, so I cut a piece of (crummy) ply and epoxied it on the inside of a large opening in the frame.
Might have improved the warp in the stab, injected some water using a syringe into the warped area, and suspended the stab in the correct position using weights.
Seems the moisture softened the wood enough to "warp" to a new position :-)
Switches Mounted !
Did I mention QC ?
Seems at another club the Drastik 50 cc almost lost the horizontal stab, by more luck, and probably skill, the PIC nursed it in.
I promptly removed the stab, cut away the covering, and emptied a bottle of CA into the rather pronounced, lage joins.
Fitted the wing, and, aargh, the static balance is way backward!
Oh well, into junk box, have mini lathe, and some brass spacers, static balance now "OK", note to self, payload needs to move forward.....
Mmm, the landing gear is beginning to look less and less rugged by the hour, might just run some threaded rod to the firewall, except most suppliers are closed right now :-(
Oh, how us "Rock Spiders warp wings.......
Join DIY Drones
Welcome toDIY Drones
Sign Upor Sign In
Or sign in with:
© 2013 Created by Chris Anderson.
Report an Issue |
Terms of Service
Please check your browser settings or contact your system administrator.