sorry for the late info... happened allready in september 2012...
but better now then never :-)
there is more back groundinfo http://www.aec.at/futurelab/en/referenzen/kategorie/kunst-am-bau/sp... (thanks Joshua!)
quick answer to some questions right away:
1) it's hummingbirds (Asctech http://www.asctec.de/uav-applications/research/products/asctec-humm...)
2) pure GPS and a very stable Autopilot (standard-Hummingbird with some minor tweaks)
3) communication: liard-modules 2,4GHz (telemetry and light)
communication protocols will change in the future, since the bandwidth at the time of the recording is fully used by this "alpha protocol" we've used there...
4) collision detection has been done on ground control (laptop) - no extra sensors/intelligence on board
5) we had to add some functionality to the hummingbirds - but auto-pilot and stability is "of the shelf" from Ascending (who's support was invaluable... big HUG to Daniel and his team @ Ascending!!)
I'll give a more detailed talk next week in Oslo (at the OLSO LUX-Festival)...
and we're (hopefully) flying a "version2" show in Australia this Summer - I'll keep you informed!
...and a bit more of a making of
from 3d-max to Spaxels (space picture elements)