3 crashes in 1 flight : need your help guys !!!!

Hi all,

Well today I went for a test flight, trying to get my octocopter under control because I have an important demo to do on Saturday for a potential client. It did not go as expected. Here is my config :

- RCTimer F1000 Cinestar Clone

- RCtimer HP4108 380KV motors

- RCTimer 40A ESC (SimonK)

- 14x4.7 carbon props

- APM 2.5

- 2 x 5800 Zippy 6S

- Brushless gimbal + 1 5000 3S for power + 1 gopro

The first 2 crashes happened like this : I'm flying at about 10 m high and lower my throttle, the copter goes down slowly and at 3 meters or so I'm going full throttle with absolutely NO effect. The copter just crashed on the ground. 2 times. 1 crab leg broken. 

I'm going up in the air for a third time, then this time it starts spinning like crazy then crashes. 1 prop broken. 

So please, take a look at my logs as I cannot understand what is going on. As one would expect, I'm really frustrated because it's not the first time the APM gets out of control and I break stuff. 

Thanks in advance for your time guys !

2013-09-17%2017-42%207.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Can you please update on this?

• It has nothing to do with the FC.

Your problem lies in the choice of ESC/motor/LiPo. It is wildly known and acknowledged that 24-coil pancake motors don't do well on SimonK ESCs unless one starts studying motor advance angle and timing offset for his particular motor and load. To make matters worse, RCTimer chose to add some 10nF caps on the output ESC rails on the 40A model and they cause havoc with phase measurement.

The clear path out of this problem is the use of high-speed SiLabs-based ESCs. The model that's popular with people I know is the Turnigy K-Force 40A, re-flashed with BLHeli. I've flashed 25 of them so far, for a pair of okto and a hexa plus spares, and I can confirm they run well. You'll need either a SiLabs Toolstick programmer, or an Arduino board running Toolstick emulator.

You may be able to use Plush or Hobbywing FlyFun ESCs as well, but I haven't personally tested them yet.

• Im trying to find answer for what esc will work with 6s and 380kv 22pole motors.
This reply was deleted.

Activity