3D printed T4 and T6

3689612631?profile=original

These are the fully 3D printed T4 (quadcopter), Mini T4 (quadcopter), and T6 (coaxial hexacopter) designs I've posted on Thingiverse.com (aside: "T" is for Tubular).  The comments section on Thingiverse doesn't provide a great place for discussing designs so I've created this topic here instead.

These designs are based on a tubular arm with a vertical "I" beam running down the centre.  This design seems to be very strong and rigid and all of these designs are very stable in flight.

Other common features include:

• motor wiring is routed through the arms and down into an enclosed (ventilated) power and ESC tray.
  • batteries are located in the centre of rotation (T6 is designed for dual batteries).
  • bevelled cable "tunnels" provide a way to route cables between the power tray and top plate.
  • Top plate is designed for Pixhawk or APM flight controllers with elevated GPS.
  • Bottom tray has mounting points for a Tarot Gimbal.
  • Optional long and short legs include "springy" feet.  The legs are designed so the 3D printed threads "wrap around" the arms which makes them quite strong for their length.
  • Sketchup files are included so folks can modify both designs to suit their needs. 

I figure I've put hundreds of hours into these designs with prototypes and drawing time.  I'd love to get feedback from anyone who makes one.  Together we can improve these designs for everyone's benefit.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Quoted from Bret Allen

Joe, just be careful using the Go-Pro as an FPV by itself. Typically, a second flight camera is used for the FPV because it uses the onboard receiver battery to power it. If the battery in the GoPro dies, so does your FPV. I would recommend setting up a switchable system between the 2 cameras if you want to see what the goPro sees. Just some food for thought. :)

You can actually use the TL68A10 cable to power the GoPro too - make sure you only use 5V though (I accidentally put 12v into my Black camera and all the magic smoke came out).  Back in 2012 and early 2013 there were some reports of GoPros locking up - which put a lot of people off using them for FPV flying.  I believe these issues have since been resolved though.

Personally I like using my GoPro for FPV as I can see exactly what I'm recording - especially when you use a gimbal that can tilt via remote control, etc.
      • Quoted from Bryan

Brendan, does that affect recording framerate or anything?  Recording quality, perhaps?

No issue with selecting any particular frame rate that I'm aware of.  The Go Pro records at full resolution - but you only get "TV" resolution from the video out port for broadcasting back to the ground.

• Quoted from Bryan

That's fantastic news, have you done it personally?  Is that the Hero3?  I have a friend who claims that using the video out sacrifices quality, but he's only read on forums rather than tried it himself.

Yep, works fine for me.  I was using a Hero3 Black until I accidentally stuck 12v into the USB port (bad).  I know use a Hero3+ Silver and that works fine too.  All of my flight videos are recorded with one of these.

Brendan O
  • I finally got around to printing a new version of the T4 myself.  Even though it's only been out there for two weeks we're already up to version 1.04 and I was starting to feel my version 1.00 was so "last week"!

Anyway, here's a few pics of my latest print...

3701685145?profile=original

3701685350?profile=original

3701685248?profile=original

• 3702478042?profile=original

3702478230?profile=original

• I'm printing your T4 now - what is the cover you have shown in the copter on the right in the photo? Makes it look really neat!

• That's a 3DR Iris copter that you can buy from here.  I included in the photo as it is a very similar size to the T4.

• to bad someone cant make up a sort of cover. if i know solid works i would try.

• My project for this weekend was to come up with a simple GoPro mount for the front of the T4 quadcopter.  This is intended for folks who want to do some FPV without the extra baggage of carrying a gimbal (which the T4 already supports).  

After a couple of  "mad scientist" designs involving ear plugs and gel pads, I settled on a simple rubber vibration ball based design - although the other design is still in the latest Sketchup file and does actually work.

3702643578?profile=originalI think the particular rubber balls I had lying around are a little too soft but here's some video taken with this setup anyway...

Side note: the above video is taken carrying the 6000mah 3S battery - with my 3DR 880kv motors the T4 is almost too lively on lighter 3000mah batteries!  The weight of the 6000mah battery seems to settle it down a little bit ;-)

• Any tips for first flight?  I built the Quad and have followed more or less the hardware recommendations.  With the exception of the motors which I pulled from a flawed Quad I got from Kickstarter (The R10).  I have the Q-Brain and PixHawk along with the 3DR telemetry gear and a Spektrum DX9 transmitter (from another project).  I have calibrated the quad. using Qgroundcontrol, it was the only way I could Bind my receiver. And I used the Iris parameters as suggested.

I have a 3s 2200 battery.

In the 2 attempts at taking off, both times the quad has had to have the throttle at about 50% and then it starts to rise and almost immediately flips on its side.  I have broken 2 Props so far.

Any thoughts or settings that you have tweaked that may help?  Is my battery 2 small (i.e. light).

The only other thing I can see is I'm not sure if I have properly calibrated the Q-brain.  but no matter what I try I don't seem to be able to make it make the throttle calibration sounds.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for a cool design.

This reply was deleted.

Activity