3DR Solo for mapping/ survey/ precision ag

Greetings!

Does anyone have any idea if you will be able to use the 3DR Solo for mapping/survey applications like the X8-M? I know they both use the Pixhawk. Is this just a matter of connecting it to a 3DR radio and sending it waypoints through APM Planner or is there a firmware/software limitation?

Thanks in advance for the help!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The Solo is pretty much the exact opposite of a closed proprietary system. 

• I don't understand the comment about Solo being closed? If you look up info on the available breakout board and compatibility with mission planner and custom firmware, dronekit etc.. it is anything but closed.

• Afterthought, you were probably referring to the Solo App. Which I don't use much.

• Oscar: Have you looked at the Escadrone system with the QX1. What's your opinion?

Thanks.

• Check out mapir products. They're doing it. we sell their products in our store which consists of modified GoPro type of cameras and racks. they're using interval to trigger the system vs Waypoint triggering and the power app.https://www.mapir.camera/
    MAPIR CAMERA
    MAPIR CAMERAS provide turn-key solutions for all types of imaging needs, whether agriculture NDVI analysis, surveying, orthophotography, or custom ap…
  • Eventually there will be Pix4D compatibility.

I'm not sure if 3DR will confirm this (as they are currently selling both a fixed wing and quad mapping drone).

However, on the phone with a Pix4D rep and they told me that there are plans for direct support for the 3DR solo in the future; after they release compatability with the DJI Inspire. (Which is the reason I'm purchasing a 3DR Solo).

• It's compatible with Mission Planner. My question is how to trigger a Cannon camera from the Pixhawk?  I know there are plenty of threads/videos on making a cable for this function.  Will it work the same with Pixhawk2?  I suppose this might be answerable once more people get their hands on a SOLO?

• I emailed and asked 3DR about Mission Planner. Their reply: NOT compatible and not supported and there is no waypoint functionality in the Solo app as in Mission Planner. That makes Solo, in my mind, just another (albeit sophisticated) flying GoPro. Too bad, I thought it had real potential as a mapping tool.

• It fully works with Tower, which supports survey grid style autonomous missions.

There are already several people using Solo successfully for mapping and there are recent examples in blogs on this site.

• RPM: Thanks for the feedback. I personally don't use Tower any more. Too many issues. It is also lacking in sophistication compared to Mission Planner. That said, 3DR's "official" stand is that neither Tower or Mission Planner are supported for Solo. I also asked them if the GoPro can be triggered by distance on the Solo and they answered "no". (I have a modified GoPro for mapping and looked seriously at the Solo). Has anyone done that successfully with the Solo/GoPro? If yes, I will look at the Solo again (and ignore 3DR's "official" answers).

This reply was deleted.

Activity