3DR telemetry no longer supported by 3DR....options?

I have been using the 915mhz telemetry v2 units with my Pixhawk for a while now.  One of them is not giving the range that it used to and I need a replacement.

I varified the range with the use of my Fighting Walrus iDrone Link and one unit is getting about 100m range while the other is getting good signal to where my hexacopter is just a spec in the distance.

Problem 1:

I can not get hold of Fighting Walrus any more.  They have not answered my emails since about October of 2015.  I am assuming they are no longer active? (also no updates to their iOS app for almost a year)

Problem 2:

3DR are no longer making their 900 or 433 telemetry units. (verified vie an email to them)

"Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting 3DRobotics customer service.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have the Telemetry available anymore since they have been discontinued, both the 915 and 433."

I am using a Nexus 7 v2 Tablet with the Tower App (great app by the way)

Question:

Other than the $250 long range 900mhz kits (I don't need/am not allowed to use super long range) or $10 knock 3DR off kits from China (gamble as to whether you get a good one/no warranty), what options are there that are "PnP" ?

I am using a Taranis Plus TX with x8r RX and could use that telemetry but then there is no way to load missions in the field.

Thanks for input

J

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i have 4 3DR radios and 2 RFD900's. i'm not worried at all about hacking.

• Ahmed,

I agree.  I don't think that anyone would even want to hijack my hex.  What would it gain the hijacker?

J

• Developer

Yes we all know that. That's why we upgraded our modems to use those new RF+ modules as they can offer an encryption option to prevent this to happen.

It's not issue just with 3DR based modems, it's an issue of all open communication systems. Same goes on WiFi unless you encrypt it's communications.

MAVLink development group is well aware of this situation and it's will be taken care of in upcoming releases. We are currently drafting new protocol specs that will be released rather soon.

Adding an encryption to MAVLink protocol it self is not an option as we want to keep it as light as possible and that way we rely on outside encryption and adding encryption to MAVlink protocol would cause extra CPU load to all MAVLink aware of devices which most likely would lead on some flitghtcontroller crashes etc. And definitely we don't want that to happen. So again, outside encryption is best choice.

• Are the newer RF900 radio's still 1 watt? If so does the current versions of mission planner allow you to set it to 1 watt do you know? Thx

• Developer

Yes they are but default setting is on around 0.5W. And you can change that power level from MissionPlanner directly. Just go on 3DR modem settings and put maximum power.

• solution where u can also order protected radios.... http://madhacker.org/cryptotelemetry-secure-radios-to-prevent-drone...

• Developer

Nope.. That won't work on those 3DR radios as their Si1000 CPU just don't have enough power to do encryption. That's why Seppo changed CPU on our RDxxxx modems to provide enough computing power to make encryption.

Again HopeRF HM-TRP module (eg. original 3DR modems or their copies) based modes won't allow to do encryption. Sure you can have a bit shifting or similar simple thing but that is not encryption.

I am not fully sure about this guy but I have rather strong feeling that he is violating Tridges SiK firmware licenses as I don't think that this guy wrote whole firmware from scratch...

• Thx for information....it would be nice if Tridge can offer us similar firmware

• Not sure if my posts are posting?  Craig, there are plenty of companies out there making entirely false claims - what's your beef w/ 3DR?  

It is all about the data & a cost that can deliver w/out flying an actual plane over a site. What is wrong w/ you?  Instead of sounding like an informed analyst you sound like a troll.  

Go check into those companies that can't even deliver, now that's an interesting story...

I hate it when people can just google stuff to prove a point.  Prove a point by being a true player in the industry, out there & doing the footwork.  

• I see your posts. 

First, if you are under a N/D I don't think it right we debate much of this...you can email me directly if you have something to discuss which is non-public.

But - for posterity.

You are 100% correct. This industry is full of snake oil. Here is just ONE of my articles about it. More are available and more are in the works:

http://www.droneflyers.com/2015/12/fraud-fake-reviews-and-over-the-...

Troll? I am a blogger - writer - pilot - author - technologist and have been into this stuff since I've been 9 years old. 

Before I tell you a little more - can you tell us a bit about that ND? Are you allowed to defend 3DR but not be honest about accurate info regarding things you know? 

Perhaps you are not American? We have this 1st Amendment thing where the Press (that's me) tries to flush out the things that power/money/politics don't want you to know.

Do you read reviews? Even listen to film critics? Read opinion and editorial? 

Yep, that's me. A writer, pundit, critic, etc - and, yes, I fly drones a lot and take nice pics and vids, including work for non-profit land trusts and more.

Lastly I will give you a short answer on your 3DR query. Given that they received more money than any consumer drone startup ever - and made the grandest claims..by far...of any...it would seem as if they have more responsibility than others to be straight. They rode on being "An american company", the idea being they would do business honestly, openly and better than the Chinese. If they didn't say it themselves, they insinuated it and also allowed their proponents to parrot it over and over again.

So - let me ask you. Do you think they deserve to be held to their statements more than..say...PlexiDrone? PD took 2 million+ from investors and has maybe 8 people working for them, 3DR 100 million and (had) 300+?

What if your view on this?

This reply was deleted.

Activity