Hi,

I have received the following email from 3DRobotics last night, my Iris quadocopter was already in France, at Fedex office for a delivery at home on monday. 3DRobotics say they cancel my order and will refund me, rhis mean they will ask Fedex to send back to product to the US, why such a decision for all customers ? Why cancelling a shipement when the parcel is nearly at your home ?

Here is the email I have received from 3DR

************************************************************************************************

Thanks for your order with 3DR. We're writing to let you know that, due to a temporary change in our shipping policies, we're unable to ship orders outside of the US and Canada. We'll be cancelling and refunding your order immediately. We're very sorry for the inconvenience, and we'll let you know when we can resume shipments to your country.

If you have any questions or would like to make modifications to your order, write to us at help@3drobotics.com or call our support line at +1 (858) 225-1414, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm PST.

Sincerely,

The 3DR Team

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks very much Chris and "VuT_3DR" from 3DR for your replies and thanks very much also to all the members who helped me to understand what's going on with my order at 3DR.

I have received the two parcels containing the Iris and the case this morning from Fedex without any problems. I'm glad to know you didn't asked to send back the parcels to the US.

The mistake come from I received the email about cancelling orders last friday, after the products have been sent to me with Fedex. I hope you (3DR) will fix the problem of exports outside US very soon as it seems not to be from your side.

• This is also possibly pertinent, A little CYA?

"San Diego’s Undercover Drone Companies Fight the Feds"

http://www.suasnews.com/2014/05/29107/san-diegos-undercover-drone-c...

• I think a quote from Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy is relevant:

"SIR PATRICK MOORE: Yes, Nick, some of the larger iguanas were brought to the giant silver robot, who tried to conduct high level talks with them, but to no avail.  One of the rivet guns found a pet shop with some lizards, but it instantly defended the shop for democracy so savagely that little in the areas survived."

I hope you see the analogy - the US government is defending democracy so hard little will survive.  Makes you wonder......

For those of you who have not read HHGttG - http://www.samizdata.net/2012/08/douglas-adams-o/

•           

Hi All,

Just in case we are NOT paranoid and there is a move afoot to severely restrict availability.

I expect github to be served next, fork ALL repositories of need/interest and then do following to download all in one swoop:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21845390/it-is-possible-to-downl...

use the github3 recipe... and use torify to run the repository clone over tor, no matter if US based or not.. no sense winding up as someones spy promotion target

hzl

ps I would have posted a complete recipe(and was about to) but that could be construed as materially aiding the export of a Dual Use Item.

I HOPE I am being paranoid but I went through the crypto wars before and dont plan on playing again , be prepared..

• Developer

Mmm. git clone copies the whole repository. And git clone is what you do as soon as you work on a copy of the software. git is distributed software revision system. By it's very nature it is not tied to one location.

3702490982?profile=original;-)

• Hi @bonney ,

not reading the gthub3 recipe?

the http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21845390/it-is-possible-to-downl...

(This python recipe clones ALL repo(s) belonging to a user..)

sigh

hzl

• Developer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henny_Penny "the sky is falling!" ;)

The comment was meant to be be "tongue in cheek" with a tech point that github.com is not the only repository (how can you have a central repository to a distributed repository system). 

If github.com is served, we could centralize on gitorious.com, or my server on my desk. Its a valid point, all the code on github is actually already all over the world, nobody needs to do anything. Or even need to run an out of date script.

Don't forget "just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean they are not out to get you!"

• @bonney

:) 

(humor often escapes me!)

and yes on github not being the only repository  and its easier for MOI and most github folks I suspect to just clone their presently forked repositories.

But given what happened to mega/kim dotcom and DHS etc I would NOT put anything past USG and IP rights holders(just in case this is not  ITAR/dual use but an IP rights issue instead).

Small tech point github3 is new dev.. pygithub old and forgotten.. ie the github3 recipe is working just fine.

Paranoid? Moi? You? who? BTW in US they ARE out to get us!(who is they?? you really have to ask post snowden?).

Now where did I put the damned roll of tinfoil.. got some hats to make!

HZL

ps with DRONES the sky DOES fall!! 9.8ms**2 :) (or at least the drones fall out of the sky!!)

hopefully we will be hearing soon..

• Well, I just made sure my local clones are all up to date... just in case. ;)

This reply was deleted.

Activity