Hi,

I have received the following email from 3DRobotics last night, my Iris quadocopter was already in France, at Fedex office for a delivery at home on monday. 3DRobotics say they cancel my order and will refund me, rhis mean they will ask Fedex to send back to product to the US, why such a decision for all customers ? Why cancelling a shipement when the parcel is nearly at your home ?

Here is the email I have received from 3DR

************************************************************************************************

Thanks for your order with 3DR. We're writing to let you know that, due to a temporary change in our shipping policies, we're unable to ship orders outside of the US and Canada. We'll be cancelling and refunding your order immediately. We're very sorry for the inconvenience, and we'll let you know when we can resume shipments to your country.

If you have any questions or would like to make modifications to your order, write to us at help@3drobotics.com or call our support line at +1 (858) 225-1414, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm PST.

Sincerely,

The 3DR Team

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well the political system in the United States isn't too far off at this point.  Except rather than defunding things, we just expand it and throw more money at it. Eventually it becomes so complicated, that it does nothing.

• 100KM

Whew, this is a small set back. Good thing I have 2 brand new DJI A2 controllers in stock :) Kidding, I guess all we can do is wait and see?

• Theory # 7291:

The news coverage of the deepening Russia/Ukraine aggression may be related to our problems:

Almost weekly the US and EU have been increasing the sanctions, including tightening/increasing export restrictions, primarily in the tech industry.

• this may shed some light on what is going on. 

many rules from the "President's Export Control Reform" go into eff...

Also a more recent article.

Export Controls Threaten U.S. Edge in Foreign UAV Markets

From that last article:

"If a UAV is capable of autonomous or pre-programmed flight, it is controlled by ITAR, McClafferty said. An exemption to the export rules exists for hobbyist aircraft that are specifically not for commercial use. 

“If you are selling these things as anything other than toys, you are going to need a license to export,” he said. “What most people would consider to be relatively benign products, the U.S. [government] still considers those to be sensitive goods.”

Many companies are unaware of the restrictions on smaller UAVs designed for civilian use. They are subject to “national security control” and require a license for export to virtually any country other than Canada. Failing to abide by the guidelines can be painful for large companies and potentially fatal for startups that lack the resources to navigate the red tape, McClafferty said. "

The Logistics Of Export Control Reform For The Aerospace Industry - International Law - United Stat…
    In October 15, 2013, the first pair of final rules implementing the President’s Export Control Reform (ECR) initiative became effective. United State…
    • Which is why they can still ship to U.S. and Canada.

• Does word President's in Export Control Reform mean he can make the law without asking parliament (or senat or congress however you call it)??!!

• I will not read 22 pages of made up conspiracy theory, USA bashing, and and whining.  Does someone actually know why they've had to stop shipping these products?  And by "actually know", I do not mean "what you think" or "please make up some theory and proclaim it as fact".

In a word no. 

In a few more words No but a couple of people at 3DR have used the word ban implying it's not a supply or courier issue unless the courier has banned their shipping outside the continental US for some reason (possibly battery related). Beyond a couple of messages from 3DR along the lines of we hope to get it sorted shortly, please stick with us that's it from the only people who could actually "know"

• I saw the word "ban" too. Maybe someone from 3DR should be posting about this, in the interests of transparency? If the ban is something outwith their control, I'm sure most customers will be sympathetic - see the recent HK battery issues as a good example*; it would have been a lot, lot worse for them if they'd not been fully open about it.

* I still got screwed on the deal which I've not forgiven them for, but they were at least open about the cause of the shipping delays.

• OK, Thanks.

This reply was deleted.

Activity